Chapter 9: Romantic Sunday

Hee Do's POV

Beep beep! Beep beep! My phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer the phone.

"Hello, is this Korea's famous, beloved fencer Na Hee do?" Yi jin's voice comes on the other end of the phone. I instantly light up at the sound of his voice.

"What?" I laugh in amusement. He makes himself sound like an emcee.

"Ms Na Hee do, I have checked your schedule and it says very clearly that this weekend, you do not have any plans or training, am I correct?" Yi jin says.

"That would be correct, yes sir." I mimic his emcee-like voice. "What are you doing?" I laugh.

"Come outside." Yi jin says. His voice is teeming with excitement.

"Baek Yi jin!" I call out to him as I fly out the door. "What are you doing here?" I ask him. Yi jin has a silly goofy look on his face.

"Let's go on a trip." Yi jin says. "I know our trip fell through the last time. But this time..." Yi jin pulls out his phone and yanks out the battery. He presses the battery into my hands. "This time, I'm all yours." He says with an adorable grin on his face.

"Really? Really? Are you for real?" I exclaim. I can feel myself bursting with excitement like a rocket ship that has taken off. Yi jin nods.

"I'm all yours." He says as he pats my head lightly.

"Where are we going!" I ask.

Yi jin whips out two tickets from his pocket and shows them to me.

"Pohang."

~

Yi Jin's POV

"Wah! Look at the blue waves!" Hee do exclaims excitedly as we drive towards Pohang.

"La la la la la la la la ROMANTIC SUNDAYYY!" Hee do sings and looks like she's on cloud nine.

"What is that?" I burst out with laughter as Hee do starts waving her arms.

"It's a very popular song! Have you never heard of it?" Hee do asks. I shake my head.

"For someone who knows everything that's going on in the world, you are very ill-informed." Hee do laughs.

"WOAH! Look at that red lighthouse!" Hee do yelps with excitement as Pohang comes into view.

"This is the best day of my life!" Hee do exclaims. She has the energy of a firecracker and it's adorable to watch. "La la la la la la la la ROMANTIC SUNDAYYY!" Hee do starts singing again. "Sing along!" She beckons me.

"This song is going to get stuck in my head." I say and sure enough, I was right.

~

"AH! I feel so alive!" Hee do says as we step onto the beach. The softness of the sand cradles my toes and the refreshing blue waves beckons us to draw near.

"LAST ONE IN THE WATER IS A CHICKEN!" I exclaim as I dash towards the water.

"Hey! That's not fair!" Hee do yells after me as she follows quickly after me. Before I know it, her superior athlete legs catch up with me and we're sprinting towards the water side to side. Just before we reach the water, I scoop her up by the waist and lift her up.

"Hey! Put me down!" Hee do protests as I step into the water with her in my arms.

"I win!" I declare.

"That's not fair! You cheated!" Hee do laughs as I place her down. "Baek Yi jin, you're dead meat!" She announces as she pushes me into the water. Before falling in, I catch hold of her arm and draw her into the water with me. The cool waters splash around us. Hee do and I thrash around in the water. She sends water flying in my direction and squeals every time I pick her up.

"Don't drop me into the water! Don't drop me into the water!" She exclaims, trying to sound like it's a warning but her joy breaks through. I kiss her lightly on the cheek before plopping her into the water. The sound of Hee do's joyful laughter makes this place my euphoria.

"Okay! You win! You win! I surrender!" Hee do laughs. We're both drenched and dripping with water. Her eyes are shining with joy and we're like two young children who have forgotten the woes of this world. She pushes hair away from her face and grins at me. Her arms curl around my body.

"I'm so happy. I can't believe how happy I am." She says. I hug her back.

"Me too. Come on, we should get changed before you catch a cold."

~

Hee do holds my hand and skips along as we walk along the streets of Pohang.

"Do you remember when I disappeared for a while?" I ask her. Hee do stops short in her tracks and looks at me.

"I remember. Why?" She asks with wide eyes.

"I was hiding here." I say.

"Here? In Pohang?" Hee do asks. I nod. She looks around and studies the surroundings. She's taking in the sights of this place where I hide myself away.

"Did you work here? Tell me everything." She asks again.

"I'll tell you later." I say as I tug a piece of loose hair behind her ear. "First, we need to fill our stomachs." I announce as I stop in front of a restaurant. "Jiang! This place has the best seafood." I say excitedly. Hwa Jeong's Fish Restaurant.

"OOOOH!" Hee do's eyes are as wide as saucers as she looks at the displayed pictures on the wall.

"You have saliva dripping out of your mouth." I tease her. Hee do instinctively wipes the side of her mouth.

"There's nothing there!" She laughs. Before I can reply, someone calls my name.

"Oh? Baek Yi jin?" Someone walking by suddenly calls me. I look up and see a familiar face that brings a smile to my face.

"Hyung?" I call him. "Is that really you?"

"Wah! How long has it been?" Hyung says joyfully as he approaches us. In his hand, he carries a short ladder and paint. His clothes are splattered with different colours of paint.

"It's been so long!" I exclaim and hug him. "Ah, hyung! Let me introduce you to my girlfriend, Na Hee do." I say proudly. "Hee do ya, this is my friend Hong Du sik."

"Nice to meet you." Hee do smiles and shakes his hand.

"Nice to meet you too." Du sik smiles.

"What are you doing with all that paint?" I ask him.

"Ah, this." Du sik says. "I am helping someone with renovation. There's a new resident moving in." He says with a faint smile on his face.

"Wow, a new resident? Who?" I ask.

"Dentist Yoon Hye Jin. She just moved here from Seoul to start a dental clinic so I'm helping her with the renovations." Du sik explains with a lightness in his voice.

"Eh... Hyung, are you smiling?" I ask with a mischievous glint in my eye. I smirk at him.

"What?" Du sik coughs and touches his neck awkwardly.

"Aish, this gives you away all the time." I point at his dimple that has peeked out the moment he mentioned 'Yoon Hye Jin'.

"What? I'm just happy to see you!" Du sik protests. I laugh heartily.

"Alright. I'll see you around Hyung!" I wave goodbye to him.

"Who was that?" Hee do asks me after Du sik walks off.

"He was my first friend when I came to Pohang. He showed me the way around and even helped me get a job. I'm forever grateful to him." I explain. "Come on, let's go eat!"