forty one

Aliyah was in the emergency room all night. Mira waited with the girls at first but one by one they all went home to get some rest and get Mira clothes and foods.

Mira was stubborn and didn't want to leave.

Until Aliyah's mom came. Tita Ellie was crying and hugged Mira. "Ano nangyari anak? Pumunta ako agad pagkareceive ko ng message mo."

The girl hugged Aliyah's mom tight and told her everything. She kept saying sorry and sorry.

"I'm so sorry po tita, kung hindi dahil sakin..."

Tita Ellie shook her head. "Alam mong hindi ka pagbibintangan ni Aliyah. She wouldn't want that, hindi mo kasalanan."

Mira bit her trembling lips and nodded. Tita Ellie was right.

"Tita Ellie..."

"Call me Mama anak, welcome ka sa family."

Wow, everything felt light now. It was like a rainbow after the storm. To be called anak, to have a mother. Mira would really be happy if Aliyah would just be okay and out of the emergency room alive.

Her uncle was now put behind bars. James didn't survive.

She cried everything out when the nurses said that James passed away. He was still her cousin, a family. Losing a family still hurts.

Now, she really can't do it if even Aliyah would not survive this. She just can't.

"Anak?" Tita Ellie pulled her back to reality.

She looked at her and gulped down the lump in her throat. "Ung tanong niyo po dati, kung mahal ko po ba si Aliyah."

Mira breathed out. "Mahal na mahal ko po siya, Ma. Sobra."

Tita Ellie smiled at her softly. "I know anak. She loves you too."

The girl fell asleep on tita Ellie's shoulder as they waited for Aliyah to come back.

It was late in the morning when Mira woke up. And the first two things in her mind was Aliyah and where the hell is she? She was on the sofa of a room-

When she turned her head she saw Aliyah on the bed, eyes still closed, but alive!

Mira quickly stood up and went towards the girl. "Aliyah."

"Oh, gising ka na." Sam said as she gets out of the comfort room.

"Sam. Bat hindi niyo ko ginising agad??" Mira held Aliyah's hand and sat beside the bed.

"We tried, kaso himbing ng tulog mo. Nagpatulong na lang si Tita Ellie na buhatin ka dito."

"She's okay." She exhaled heavily.

"She is." Sam looked at Aliyah, relieved.

"Papunta na ung iba maya maya. Mag dadala raw silang food tsaka clothes mo."

"Nasan si Tita Ellie- si Mama?" She corrected herself.

Sam grinned. "May kausap siya sa phone sa labas."

"Lakas mo naman Mama na agad tawag." Sam teased her.

Mira shook her head and chuckled. "I'm so glad you're here."

Sam smiled and nodded. "Si kuya James...he didn't deserve it."

"Yeah, he didn't deserve what happened to him."

"I couldn't even talk to him properly before he..." Mira couldn't continue.

The two girls went silent. The only sound in the room was the beeping noise from the machine.

"Ang laki ng tulong niya.... kung hindi niya ginawa yon baka kung ano nangyari sainyo ni ate Liyah." Sam said sadly.

The girl nodded and sighed. Kuya James, thank you.

Mira caressed Aliyah's hands not minding the bruises on her own. "I hope you wake up soon." She whispered.

Three days.

Aliyah still hasn't woken up.

The girls take turns on when and who get to go to the hospital with Tita Ellie and Mira. Aliyah's brother came to the hospital when Mira was out to get new clothes.

So, she was surprised to see a guy sitting by Aliyah, reading her a book.

"Excuse me?" Mira said, confused.

The guy turned to her and frowned. "May kailangan po kayo?"

Mira didn't know how to react; shouldn't she be asking that to him?

"Wala? Kilala niyo po ba si Aliyah? Ako bantay niya ngayon..."

He looked at her and realization sets in. "Ikaw ba si Mira?"

The guy closed the book and stood up. "Kinwento ka sakin ni Mama, it's nice to meet you." He extended his hand for a handshake.

Mira widened her eyes, "Uhmm?"

"Kapatid ko si Aliyah, I'm Luis."

Eto kuya niya?!

She shook his hand and introduced herself as well. "I'm Mira, nice to meet you too po."

He nodded, "You can sit down, gusto mo ba ng water or anything?"

"Hindi na po, okay lang." She said as she sat down by the opposite side of the bed.

She could feel his eyes observing her as she moves around. Well, this is awkward.

Both of them were quiet until Tita Ellie came in.

"Mira you're here anak, kumain ka na ba?" TIta Ellie went towards her and gave her a hug.

"Yes po, kumain muna ako kela Joanne."

TIta Ellie nodded and then looked at Luis. "So nagkakilala na kayo," she chuckled. "Naiimagine ko mukha ni Aliyah pag gising niya."

"Ma..." Luis sighed. He put down the book on the table, "I'll get some coffee, gusto niyo ba?"

"Yes please, ikaw anak?" Tita Ellie asked Mira who shook her head, no.

"One coffee lang?" Luis assured.

"Yes, thank you Luis."

Luis went out and Tita Ellie turned to Mira. "Gulat ka ba?"

She nodded, "Akala ko po kung sino nandito kanina, nagbabasa ng book."

"Mahilig sila sa libro, silang magkapatid. Dati lagi niyang binabasahan ng story si Aliyah, minsan poems."

Mira smiled softly. "That's sweet."

"Kaso nagaway kaya ayon. Hindi na naguusap."

"Really? Kaya pala hindi ko masyadong naririnig kuya niya." She uttered.

"Pumuntang US kuya niya kasama ung papa nila."

Tita Ellie shrugged her shoulders. "Ung papa nila may ibang pamilya na, and sumama kuya niya sakanila kaya nagtampo si Aliyah."

Mira was only hearing this now. She realizes that she still has a lot to learn about Aliyah.

It dawned into her that she's been the only one giving out problems and burdens that she hasn't thought of or asked Aliyah about hers.

"Kaya rin hindi umuuwi kasi nagtampo sakin, kampi daw ako kay Luis."

Tita Ellie laughed as she stared at her daughter endearingly. "She's really protective of me and is so full of emotions."

"She's precious." Mira said.

"Very."