New life, new soul

Depuis le début

Winter would throw a sentence at Ash to have the opposite of the sentence thrown back at his face. I could tell that they could do this all day. Ash seemed giddy with this new game.

"I think they don't exist." Winter insisted.

"Nah. I think they do. My mom always told me that there used to be some left."

"Used to be. Not there is." Piped up Leo quietly.

"Agree. I think my little buddy here somehow absorbed my wisdom." Said Marsh cheerfully.,

Everyone except Marsh snorted.

He rolled his eyes. "Uh uh. Maybe some talents can be absorbed. Some have to be passed down. But my intelligence is rubbing off you guys."

One sentence caught my attention.

Some talents could be absorbed.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

I swept the bones of dinner into the river, watching the bouncing shapes bob away from me. I turned on my tail, looking for Marsh.

Leo was circling Marsh in the air, divebombing the large dragon and knocking him to the ground.

I seized Marsh's tail and tugged him into the nook behind the waterfall in the sleeping room before the little menace on four feet could attack him again.

I asked, "How is everybody except Sky holding themselves together?"

"I'll talk to you about that later. Any other questions? I want to have my revenge on Leo." Marsh said flatly

"Can water dragons read minds? I literally hear you thinking that the burnt food today tasted like poop." No point beating about the bush.

Marsh narrowed his eagle yellow eyes. "You are strange. Who would actually eat that voluntarily?"

I snorted. "Is there like a way that mind reading can be like absorbed? How else can I read minds?"

"How can you absorb that? The Solarflares can't read minds. Anyways, only Shadowground can do that, but you are clearly a Hydroblast... aahhh." He curled his tail around his talons.

"Shadowground hybrid." Marsh breathed, nose touching the mushy dirt.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

"But how can she be a hybrid? Her parents should be Waterblasts!"

Ash had poked his head into the nook.

"HEY! Stop snooping!" Snapped Marsh, pushing them out.

"I REALLY WANNA BURN THIS TREE NOW YOU KNOW." Ash's voice growled.

I sat down, twisting a blade of grass I wrenched out of the ground, trying to get my thoughts out of my head. Could I really be a Shadowground hybrid? "What species you belong to doesn't matter." Marsh added. A red pair of ears stuck out behind him as he spoke. I didn't respond. A pause. "Come on, we know it will happen eventually, but we gotta heal and move on." A hitch in his voice didn't help, and I knew he was talking about Fry.

"Were you two close?"

"Very. I was best friends with with him and we fought together at the start of the war." Shadows crossed his eyes and dipped him in sadness.

"I trained him."

Before I could ask what that was, he dragged me out of the nook and said cheerfully as Ash fled and ran off, all evidence of his grief gone,"Let's tell them about this fact we discovered."

I wasn't worried about that.

I was worried about the darkness that crossed Marsh's face.

Marsh had decided to announce it to everyone that I could be a half Shadowground, and they got confused. Except for Ash, as he already knew.

"But... why Waterblast? Why not, like the other species?" Demanded Sky. "Aren't the Waterblasts the most hunted? And if they shapeshifted into a Solarflare, they could have spied on them. They also can blind enemies, how did they get killed?"

"I don't know."muttered Ash.

We were sitting on the various rock ledges, getting ready to sleep. The two Earthbounds had bearskin draped over their rock ledge. Ash's rock ledge was bare, Leo always complained that Ash snored super loud that he literally breathes fire in his sleep. Hazard of sleeping next to a Solarflare, I guess. A waterfall separated my rock ledge and Winter's. Sky had a very ingenious hammock suspended from the ceiling, and she was sitting in it so comfortably that I was contemplating switching mine with hers. After asking, Winter told me that he was also a Waterblast, and not a Skycloud. Hey, I'm not alone in the world.

"Either way," Marsh said briskly, "We are training tomorrow, learning how to control your elements is crucial."

"Yea, it really helped with my anger issues." Agreed Ash with a grin, almost setting the already sleeping Leo.

As the soft snores from Ash resounded around in the cave, I closed my eyes and let the blackness at the edge of my eyes to drag me away.

No more being afraid of the future. I was in safe claws.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

I woke up to the sound of Ash snoring at the top of his lungs, I was pretty certain that if anybody managed to sleep right through his snores, they could have slept through the mythical 'Asteroids hitting he earth and causing all dinosaurs to be extinct'. Leo really wasn't kidding. I stretched my limbs, unfurling my wings. The tip of my left wing was bathed in cool, misty water. As the little balls of water batted me on my head, I rolled to the side of the ledge and spotted Winter sleeping literally in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall with his spiked tail draped over his snout.

Selfish dragon. I was so gonna knock him off and sleep there myself.

"Either you're an early riser, or you can't sleep cause of nightmares." Marsh flapped slowly past me with a dead mountain lion in his claws. The blood running down his claws didn't help my nausea and I looked away. In his brain, he was muttering: Probably should have brought that goat back. Leo hates it when I bring back lions. I mean, he's one himself right? I rolled my eyes inwardly and spread my wings. I flew off the ledge and landed on a thick part of a tree. I reached up and batted my claws at a fruit dangling off a branch.

"I'll advise against doing that." Sky yawned. "The fruit taste like poop." She stuck out her tongue in disgust. I sighed and flapped down to almost land literally on top of Leo. '"Is this place so chaotic all the time?" I asked when Ash strolled past setting fire to a piece of lion meat so it would be burnt.

"Yes. Even more so when Fry was around." Sky laughed bitterly.

I nodded and left the sleeping cave, trudging towards a new day in my crazy life.