05.12

[act five; chapter twelve     -     cut strings of fate]

The bridge to Olympus was dissolving. They stepped out of the elevator onto the white marble walkway and immediately cracks appeared at our feet.

"Jump!" Grover said, which was easy for him since he's part mountain goat. He sprang to the next slab of stone while the others tilted sickeningly.

"Gods, I hate heights!" Thalia yelled as she and Percy leaped, followed by Annabeth and then Donnie. But Andromeda was in no shape for jumping. She stumbled and yelled, "Percy!"

He caught her hand as the pavement fell, crumbling into dust. For a second, he thought she was going to pull them both over. Her feet dangled in the open air. Her hand started to slip until he was holding her only by her fingers.

And for a moment, just that moment, much like before, it was like Andromeda was in another world. Her vision went black, and suddenly she was dangling from a massive clip. Glancing down, she saw the drop. A one way trip. A very hard fall. She was barely holding onto the fingers that gripped her own, almost like someone hanging onto death. Blistering hot wind brushed against the reddened skin of her arms and legs, digging into the marks that were already there. Then it shifted and she was no longer viewing it from someone's eyes, now she was seeing it from afar. A birds-eye-view. A boy, not much older than herself, was gripping onto the hand of a girl who looked to be around the same age as herself. They were dangling helplessly above an open cavern, one that, if you fell, would surely result in death.

She could briefly hear a voice yell, "Lead them there! Promise me!"

And suddenly she was back on Olympus, dangling between the world of mortals and immortals.