04.14

[act four; chapter fourteen     -     the great god pan]

They ran until they were exhausted. Rachel steered them away from traps, but they had no destination in mind—only away from that dark mountain and the roar of Kronos.

They stopped in a tunnel of wet white rock, like part of a natural cave. Percy couldn't hear anything behind them, but he didn't feel any safer.

A few feet away, Andromeda sagged against the wall, clutching her aching wound as she crouched to her knees, leaning back against the cold stone wall. Leaning her head back, she looked at her friends.

"I can't go any farther," Rachel gasped, hugging her chest.

Annabeth had been crying the entire time they'd been running. Now she collapsed and put her head between her knees. Her sobs echoed in the tunnel. Nico and Percy sat next to each other. He dropped his sword next to Riptide and took a shaky breath.

"That sucked," he said, which Percy thought summed things up pretty well.

"You saved our lives," the son of Poseidon said.

Nico wiped the dust off his face. "Blame the girls for dragging me along. That's the only thing they could agree on. We needed to help you or you'd mess things up. And it wasn't just me, Andy was the one who fought the lord of time."

Rachel looked over at said girl and nodded with wide eyes. "How did you even do that? You must be crazy."

"Probably," she shrugged, "but, honestly, I don't really know. It just—I felt scared and I couldn't even control what I was doing before I was running. I really don't know how I fought him."

Percy sent her a small smile, "It was pretty cool though." Then he sighed, his heart feeling heavy. "Nico...you, uh, kind of gave yourself away."

"What do you mean?"

"That wall of black stone? That was pretty impressive. If Kronos didn't know who you were before, he does now—a child of the Underworld."

Nico frowned. "Big deal."