Part Thirty-Seven. Assemble

"She's been spotted at Kate's apartment," Y/N heard Maria state over the phone as she ushered out of the room. "Get units out there and make sure she is safe with Clint. She needs to be brought back to the compound immediately."

Both Wanda and Y/N looked to each other, wondering why Yelena would be set out to Kate's apartment and not theirs. Why would she be going to Kate's when they barely had a friendship?

It couldn't be from jealousy... Not when they hadn't even talked to her, at least. So why there? Why now?

Y/N slipped back to the computer, watching as Yelena snooped around her building before grappling to the roof. Lights flicked on in the apartment, but no movement could be seen.

When they looked at the time stamp, they noticed that it had been a few minutes off. This was now five minutes ago and the lights were off. No sign of Yelena had been left.

"I have to go with the team in town to check on her. Are you going to be okay here? Do you want me to stay back with you?" Wanda asked, worried but doing her best to keep it in.

Kate and Clint would be back soon, so they knew there was nothing to worry about. A few minutes alone would be great, truly. Maria would be here as well in case they needed anything. "No, I'll be okay. Thank you though. Be safe and let me know how it goes."

She smiled and nodded lightly, wishing there was more she could do. Wanda had been silently protecting them for years without them even knowing. Yes, she'd watched them closely and yes, she'd not gotten back in contact but she felt it was for the best.

They were doing better and even now, seeing how Y/N looked at the screen while they watched Yelena showed that she'd been right. Coming back wouldn't have solved anything and trying to win them over now wouldn't work.

The way Y/N looked at Yelena, talked about her, and even drifted off thinking about her was much more than they'd ever shown for Wanda. It hurt to see them, to almost have them once more, and lose them again.

But at least they're alive now. At least she can do her best to bring them the happiness they deserve, to save the woman they're falling for. If there is anything that she can do to truly show them she cares, it's this.

With that, she turned on her heel and headed out to meet the rest of the team. Y/N stayed back and replayed the video images over and over. Why she looked so different they couldn't explain.

There was something about the way her face sat that had changed. It was like someone had flipped the light off in her world and forced darkness to seep back in.

And that's when it hit them.

"The serum..." they whispered. "Fuck."

When they'd gotten up to run out to the living room, no one had been around. They checked the offices, the kitchen, the bedrooms. No one.

"I've gotta call..." their brain was swirling. Who should they call? Who would matter most right now? Who really needed this information?

Clint would be back soon with Kate. Nick would be en route now, but maybe Maria was more important. Wanda might be best seeing how she can manipulate minds.

They guessed, calling Nick and hoping he'd pick up quickly. Luckily, it only rang twice. "Yes?"

"Yelena is under the serum again. Whoever captured her. I can tell there is something off and it has to be that. Does someone have dust with them?" Y/N's words were firing off so quickly they weren't sure they even made sense.

Nick shuffled around through his stuff and Y/N heard as he called out to others over their comms. They were praying someone had some, because the dust meant no fighting. The dust meant she could be brought back, saved easily.

"Yes, Sam stored some. We're good. Thank you for letting us know. We'll keep you updated. Keep watch on the computer while we're gone," a click ended the phone call and allowed the tightness in their chest to relax.

If it wasn't for Clint's lesson on the serum and the dust, Y/N would've never known about this. They would've never been able to catch it.

Once back in the lab, they shuffled through the papers Maria had laid out before heading off. Lots of pictures from the past two days were scattered across the table. Some had even included snippets of the date Y/N had gone on with Yelena just before she was captured.

They looked over them, longing to just rewind 48 hours. Praying to whoever that they'd never ask for anything again if they just let them go back. They'd stay with her longer, tell her it would be okay.

One picture had caught a glimpse of her head back laughing with her hand on their chest. Y/N's hands rested on her waist, admiring the beauty they were holding onto.

If they didn't pull themselves out of these pictures, tears might start ruining them all. So they decided to pull up more cameras and watch as the Avengers rolled in. For the first time, they'd be cheering for them, not against.

It felt weird.

Y/N was able to see the vans roll up and assumed the quinjet had landed on the roof as they watched wind blow down on the trees. They squinted, noting that now Wanda, Sam, and Bucky were on the scene.

A few seconds later, Clint and Kate showed up next to them as well. "Weren't they...?" Y/N trailed off. They were supposed to come back to the compound. Kate would not be safe there. What were they doing?

Y/N grabbed their phone quickly, calling Kate to tell her to come back. It rang and rang, but she didn't answer. They tried Clint next, but failed again.

Then Maria. Then Nick. Then Wanda. No one would answer. It made sense, they were busy, but this was important. Kate being there was not safe and they knew that.

Yelena knew Kate was important to them, even if they were going to break things off. She must've gone there to take her in so that she could lure Y/N out.

But it didn't take long for the team to check inside and out. Within five minutes, they'd scouted the whole premises. Yelena was no where to be found.

Finally, they started calling back. "We're on our way back now," Kate stated. "They didn't find her. Did you see anything on the cameras?"

Nothing had shown her exiting, but it had taken them so long to get there. Y/N wasn't surprised that she had already made her way out and onto the next place. "No, but I'm glad to hear you're safe. I'll see you when you get back."

Hanging up, they relaxed back in the seat before jumping up to their feet. A noise had sounded down the hall. It had been eerily silent this entire time and now foot steps could be heard clicking.

Y/N knew they were alone. Their heart rate started rising quickly wondering who could be there. Everyone was on scene, so who would still be here?

"Sorry," Pepper apologized. "I didn't mean to scare you! I just thought you might want some company. Maria asked me to check on you since she had to run out and Clint wouldn't be bringing Kate directly back."

They let a long breath go, thankful that there was someone else there to watch out for them. Though they weren't quite sure what Pepper would be able to do if anyone did come along.