Part Twenty-One. Avengers Compound

The sedan rolled up to the front of a large building with a big silver "A" on the side. "Kinda tacky but okay," Y/N said as they stepped out to be greeted by Wanda.

She took them into a big hug, hard enough to make them lose their balance for a second. Her head nuzzled into their chest and they knew she wouldn't release. Hugging her back, they looked around.

It was a really beautiful area. The woods around were vividly green and the water on the backside of the compound was beautiful. Y/N wasn't surprised that Wanda said they'd love it here. They really would but under different circumstances.

Y/N was set on not staying. They'd obliged when speaking with Clint but that was only to be briefed on what was going on. Y/N did not feel threatened and did not want to worry about this when they didn't think they needed to.

"Remember, I'm not staying," Y/N spoke as they walked through the front doors with Wanda. Her lips tightened. She knew that Y/N was stubborn. Truly, the fact that they were even there now was a miracle in her eyes.

Wanda grabbed Y/N by the arm and looped hers in theirs when she introduced them to Clint and Pepper. "This is Y/N. Y/N, this is Clint and Pepper. Pepper is Tony's wife... was? I'm sorry, Pepper." Wanda began to stumble over her words.

Luckily, Pepper took no offense. "It's okay, Wanda. Don't worry. I am Tony's widow, I guess you could say."

Y/N nodded, "My condolences. I know how hard that is. I'm so sorry." Pictures of Gianna flashed through their head as their eyes traveled south quickly. Wanda caught on, remembering their past, and pulled them toward the conference room.

Clint and Pepper followed. Those three must have been the greeting party because once they stepped into the room, many others were already there. "Oh shit," Y/N huffed under their breath. Wanda was the only one close enough to hear.

"It's okay, Y/N."

They took a seat at the end of the table as they were introduced to everyone around the table. Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Bruce Banner, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes, and James Rhodes. Everyone's faces seemed kind, but the presence of so many important individuals was overwhelming for Y/N.

Wanda leaned over from her seat, "Can I help?"

Their eyebrows furrowed, "How would you do that?"

She smiled before grabbing their hand. Immediately, their heart rate slowed. It felt like air reinflated their lungs. "How did you do that?!" Y/N whispered.

"Magic," she smiled again.

Finally, they felt as though they were able to breathe. "Thank you," they said as she turned back to face the front of the room where Nick stood. Maria was seated next to him and was staring at a large stack of papers that she was flipping through. Everyone shifted in their seats awaiting the news from him.

Y/N sat back as he finally turned to address the room, "Everyone here has been briefed on what is going on. Wanda has had HYDRA on her tail since she left and has lost too much along the way." Y/N looked over at her. Her head hung a bit as she breathed in deep before returning her eyes to him.

"They're smart to not come after us. However, our new friend here has shown to be a wonderful target for them. They've been following Y/N for a few weeks now. Clint believes he knows who it is behind the Widow mask." Nick motioned for him to stand.

Clint rose from his seat on the other side of Wanda, "Yes. I believe it is Natasha's sister. She'd come after me not long ago because someone had fed her information that she died because of me." His hands rested on the table. Wanda rested her hand on his. "It took a lot of convincing, but she finally came around. I don't think she's doing this for any other reason than to stay alive."

"How is hunting an innocent person keeping her alive?" Wanda spat out.

"Black Widows are raised and trained to become the world's deadliest assassins. It's almost like it's in their blood. She hasn't been out of her trance too long and I think someone is paying her to do their dirty work. Natasha told me about her sister. This isn't who I learned about." Clint spoke again. To hear him so defensive over someone trying to kill Y/N was interesting.

Nick scratched his beard, turning to meet Maria next to her chair. There was a computer programmed into the table where she sat. Tapping through, she brought up a picture to the screen. Y/N was so intrigued by the computer that they hadn't noticed the person they'd shown everyone.

"Y/N," Clint grabbed their attention, "Have you seen this woman?"

They finally turned to view the screen. Though Wanda had a grip on their feelings to help them relax, it wasn't enough to hold this emotion back. Their mouth dropped slightly and their eyes glazed over.

"There's no way," Y/N broke their gaze and laughed, "No. You've made a mistake."

Everyone in the room had turned to look at whoever sat next to them. Confusion painted on all of their faces.

"So, you do know her?" He asked, surprised.

Their head was spinning. Wanda moved her hand from theirs to Y/N's thigh. "Hey, it's okay. Talk to us. How do you know her?"

Y/N was shaking their head vigorously now, "You've made a mistake."

Noting the shock, Nick continued on explaining to help Y/N's denial, "Her name is Yelena Belova. Born in the Soviet Union sometime between 1988 and 1989. After her parents passed away, she was taken in with Natasha Romanoff by Melina Vostokoff and Alexei Shostakov. Vostokoff and Shostakov both worked for the Red Room, an undercover program that stole little girls from their families and trained them to become assassins."

Their head still shaking, Y/N's mouth was drying out. Listening to Nick talk about this woman was like sitting in a different reality. This couldn't be real life. I must be dreaming, they thought.

"However, Yelena and Natasha were freed from their conditioning and trances. Both worked together to officially take down the Red Room. Unfortunately, Yelena was a victim of the blip. The last time she and Natasha saw each other was just before the Battle of Wakanda. She believed Clint killed her on Vormir, but he was lucky enough to explain what really happened." Nick looked over at him.

A knot slid down Clint's throat as he swallowed, "When we went to Vormir, she sacrificed herself. It was the only way to get the Soul Stone. She'd had to prove one last time that she was better than me at everything, I guess." He smiled and laughed lightly. "She was the best of us."