Part Seven. Toss Up

"Well, fuck."

"What? What's wrong?" Mariah asked just before popping her head over to look at Y/N's phone, "Oh, wow. Well, that's nice of her."

Their sister sat back in her seat, knowing that Y/N would inevitably end up going out for drinks tonight. It wasn't that Mariah wasn't for Yelena, she didn't even know her. She was just wary of anyone pining at her sibling's heart. At least she knew Kate's intentions were pure.

Before Y/N could even really think about what they wanted to do, another vibration buzzed from their phone.

Kate
If you're free tonight, we can
go and grab dinner :)

Double fuck, Y/N thought.

"Now Kate's texted back and asked to get dinner tonight. What am I supposed to do?"

Mariah sat up, clearly a bit happier now that her friend had reentered the conversation and even happier to hear that Y/N was conflicted enough to want to spend time with her too, "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know, that's why I'm asking you."

The siblings stared at each other for a few seconds before Mariah finally broke the tension, "If I flipped a coin right now, heads is Yelena and tails is Kate. What would you hope it landed on?"

An age-old test. The coin flip was good when you were genuinely unsure of what you wanted, but if you even tipped slightly on the scale... This trick would help you each time.

The silence told Mariah that Y/N wasn't taking the question seriously. So, she stood from her seat on the couch and walked over to grab her purse. Pulling out a new quarter, she flicked it over to Y/N.

They looked over it, both sides. Heads and tails. Heads; they'd get to spend more time with Yelena. Tails; they'd get to learn more about Kate and see if she'd really be good for them. Each side glistened brightly, showing that the opportunities were truly tied either way. No matter who they chose, they'd wonder what would have happened if it had landed on the other side.

"It's just for tonight. Flip the coin, it makes tonight's decision. Then, you can set up something with the other person tomorrow," Mariah voiced.

Without letting another thought pass through, Y/N sat the quarter on the side of their index finger and flicked it into the air with their thumb. Before they knew it, it was back in their hand and then flipped over on the top of the other.

Their hand lingered for a second, putting off seeing what the decision would be.

Heads.

The quarter had decided their night would be spent with the stranger from the coffee shop that they'd spent most of their morning and afternoon with.

Mariah peeked over to see which one it had landed on, "Dammit."

Y/N's mouth gaped open, "You just said it's just for tonight!"

"Yeah, but I can still root for my girl!" They both laughed. It was good to have the decision over with and they did truly feel okay with the outcome. "Well, you still better set a date with Kate!"

After responding with a quick "of course" to Yelena, Y/N tapped over their screen to find their messages with Kate.

Y/N
I actually just set plans, but how
about we grab dinner tomorrow
night? On me :)

"How did I go from being disgustingly single for years to now having two girls to decide between in one night?"

Mariah laughed, "Beats me."