THIRTY SEVEN: "I don't want to wait six years to see her again"

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN: "I don't want to wait six years to see her again"

~~~~
COAST CITY
November 5, 14:47 PDT

           "YOU LOOK LIKE YOU HAVEN'T SLEPT IN DAYS." Hal was very much correct. Nova hadn't had a proper sleep in years and since the Injustice League's reign of chaos over the world and her mind tricking her into think Darkseid was above her, she was barely making it to an hour of sleep each night.

            Nova let out a heavy sigh, letting her eyes open. She sat leant forward with her arms folded over her knees, eyes purely focused on the young girl playing happily in the empty playground.

Faith ran around the empty park with a wide grin, climbing over the play sets and making her own game. She wasn't exactly sure what it is she was playing but it was fun and entertaining. She preferred it over having to sit and listen as Hal and Nova talked. They usually talked for hours, it was boring.

She didn't mind the Green Lantern. She thought Hal was great, he always brought her small souvenirs whenever he visited, sometimes even bringing relics from other planets. Faith had come to have quite the collection.

The sand was sticky against her small hands, practically glueing to her skin and attaching itself beneath her nails. But, Faith didn't care and continued with her creation, sat crosslegged on the ground.

Proud of her work, she glanced back to the two heroes. "Nova, Hal!" she exclaimed. "Look-" The suddenly vanished. With a flash of orange light, the pair disappeared, frightening the young girl.

She quickly scrambled to her feet, dashing to the park bench. She looked over it, under it and on both sides even running through the bushes behind it in search of them. But they were gone.

Faith felt her heart clench within her throat, thumping rapidly as her eyes brimmed with tears. She wiped her hazy gaze with the back of her palms, yelling at the rapid series of crashes and bangs that echoed following Hal and Nova's disappearance.

The young sorcerer slowly walked outside the park, rubbing her hands together anxiously. Her eyes widened at the destruction littering the street caused by crashed cars.

Faith turned back to the park, stepping under the shade of a tall tree. She slowly lowered to the base of its truck, tucking her head behind her knees. If she could just stay in the shadows, Nova would come and get her. Everything would be alright.

She inhaled slowly, looking up and watching as smoke caressed the usually bright sky of Coast City. "Fate..." she whispered, letting her legs fall. "Fate will know what to do." Faith had seen Nova and Kent go to the Helmet for advice, speak to it as if they could hear the Lord of Order replying. And afterwards, they always seemed to come out relaxed, as if they had found the answers they desired.