TWENTY NINE: "Who are you and why do you want from me and my family?"

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: "Who are you and why do you want from me and my family?"

~~~~
LONDON
October 1, 02:04 GMT

              NOVA SAT ON TOP OF THE TALLEST BUILDING SHE COULD FIND AS SHE WATCHED FIRST RESPONDERS HELP THOSE HURT IN THE BATTLE. Her legs dangled over the edge, elbows positioned on her thighs as she rested her hand in her palms. Soft cries passed her lips as every ounce of pain Darkseid made her experience came back to her. Her body felt like it was on fire, despite only cuts and bruises being the real injuries. Her mind was warped on what to believe as real and was forgetting the Darkseid was far, far, away from her.

             Nova didn't know how to bring herself back to reality, to busy caught in her own head as flashback from the horrible year came back waves.

              She slid her hands to the back of her neck, choked breaths coming out of her mouth as she tried grounding herself. Through teary eyes, she looked up at the bright moon and twinkling stars, trying to imagine herself flying through the galaxies. Where she felt at peace. Up there, she was untouchable. She was free.

             "Hey, Nova... you okay?"

             The ancient sorcerer slowly let her head fall to her left palm, watching as Hal sat down next to her. His face had vivid worry across his expression as he examined her distraught appearance.

               Nova's breaths were harsh and uneven as she shook her head. "I don't what I'm doing..." she whispered, her voice cracking with sorrow.

                Her face fell into the crook of his neck as he let an arm fall over her shoulder. He held her closely, his heart aching as she cried loudly, body shaking with each sob and choked breaths being heart between. Hal didn't say anything as he merely held her, tightly, arms never moving from their position wrapped around her torso. He leant his head against her's, pressing a soft kiss to her hairline, murmuring faintly: "it's okay... you're safe."

Nova slowly shook her head. "For how long though..." she whispered through her choked sobs.

Hal hadn't responded, unsure of what the best answer was. The life that they all lived came with sacrifices and risks, that was a given, but because he knew very little of what Nova went through... he couldn't sympathise nor understand the mental battle she was struggling to overcome.

                 Suddenly, after a few long and silent moments, Nova sat up, a faint gasp passing her lips. She looked down at her trembling hand to watch small sparks of magic weave through her fingers, glowing much more powerfully then it once did. Her harsh breathing continued as she felt her century year old connection be rekindled with the great Lord of Order.