eighteen

RACE'S POV

I opened my eyes from the sunlight shining onto me. I attempted to sit up, but something...or someone was on my chest. I look down and see Kat. Wait. KAT!

No. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't dreaming. My jaw dropped. I shook her awake. Her eyes fluttered open and looked up at me with those beautiful brown eyes.

She smiled at the sight of my shocked face. She sat up. I didn't say anything. I just put my hands on her cheeks. She had a big cut on her cheekbone and a giant scab on her forehead, with dried blood all over her face. I ignored it for now.

She is with me. She is in my arms. I steer her face into mine. This kiss was filled with gentleness. She wrapped her arms around my neck. I pulled away to look at her again. "It's really you." I said in disbelief.

She nodded. "God, I missed you so much! You don't know how much! I was losing hope. I-" She put her finger to my mouth. "I'm here now." She said.

"What happened? Are you ok?" I asked, checking her for any other wounds. "I'm ok." She smiled softly. I pulled back the sheet and saw her leg covered in blood. "No you're not! Kat!" I exclaimed.

"Just leave it, ok. Destiny will come by and patch me up." She said. Destiny? "Who's Destiny?" I ask. "A friend." She said

JACK'S POV

I woke up in Kat's bed with her letter clutched in my hands. I'm so scared for her. It's like I can still hear her voice calling my name. "Jack." Her voice said. I snapped my eyes closed, wishing for the voice to go away.

"Jack." She said again. "Stop!" I yell. "Oh. Ok." She said. What? I sat up and saw Kat in the doorway. She's actually here?!

"Kat! Oh my god! I-I-I don't know what to say." I lunged at her and gave her a tight hug like she was going to disappear.

I ignored the clear wounds on her body, figuring she wouldn't want to talk about it. "How did you get back? Did he let you go?" She shook her head.

"I had to escape. Otherwise, I would have been gone." She said quietly. "He was gonna kill you!?" I yelled. "SHH!" She quickly shushed me.

"When did you get back?" I asked. "Last night." She smiled. "Does Race know? He was so upset and made it everyone's problem. I tried to conceal myself but Race...he was so angry. So sad. He made Romeo cry the other day. I was worried about him." I explained, still having my hands on Kat's cheeks.

"I saw him already. He's ok now." She smiled. "I missed you, KitKat." I kissed her forehead

KAT'S POV

"Kat?!"

"You bastard!"

"I'm coming, Kat!"

"Come here!"

A bunch of voices race into the room with a calm looking Race following behind them. "Hi, boys!" I smile.

Albert wraps his arms around my legs and lift me onto his shoulder. I inhale through my teeth when he accidentally squeezes the wound on my thigh. I take in all of the boys' happiness and over all of the yells and cheers and faintly hear a knock on the door.

"Al, put me down, someone's at the door." I patted Albert's shoulder and he set me down. I limped over to the door of the lodging house and open the door. Sure enough it is Destiny with some supplies piled in her hands.

She immediately entered and ordered me to sit down and stop putting stress on my leg. The cut was very deep, not as deep as the one on my face though. I obeyed her orders and sat down. Destiny kneeled so she was in front of me.

Then, the boys came in. I caught a glance at Albert who's jaw was agape. "Boys, this is Destiny. Ow!" I squealed as Destiny put something in my cut that stung. "I need to clean it." She said in a sympathetic tone.

Destiny glanced behind her at the boys who were staring. "Which one's Albert.?" Destiny asked very quietly. "Red hair." I whisper back.

"Where did you meet her?" Jack asks, looking at her expensive dress. "She used tp be a newsiews and has been nothing but kind to me. Race and I met her when selling one day." Jack nodded slowly

At the mention of his name, Race emerged from the crowd of boys to see the girl who gave him a half dollar for a paper. "Nice to see you again!" He smiled.

Destiny nodded at him, concentrated on healing me. After a couple minutes of silence, Destiny finished, "Done!" She looked at me through her long eyelashes and smiled. "You need to give me details on how this all happened later." She smiled

She sighed happily and looked around. "Well, I betta get going. Don't want to intrude on your lives." She smiled at the boys and turned to leave.

"You can stay if you want. It's nice having company" I turned to look at Albert who looked like he regretted speaking as Destiny smiled at him. "If you're sure it's ok." She said

Albert nodded quickly. I laughed at my friend's behavior.I knew they would be a perfect match. Destiny sat down on the floor...next to Albert and we all talked for hours.

We wasted a whole day just talking and laughing. I could tell Destiny and Albert took a liking to each other, which I loved that my best friend found someone he liked.

Race and I settled in his bed at around 10. "I glad you're back." He whispered as he ran his fingers through my hair. "I'm glad to be back." I slightly lifted my head so I could see him. He was still chewing on his cigar. "Damn. You'll choke on that cigar if you sleep with it." I laughed

Race smiled and rested the cigar on the little table beside the bed. "Did he let you go?" He asked. I sighed. "You want a naked truth?" I ask (IYKYK)

Race and I had this little game we've had since we first met. We called it naked truths. The complete truth. We never lied to each other. We've learned so much about each other with naked truths and we will continue to do it.

"Yes!" Race said. "You have to promise not to go after him. Don't think I didn't hear about your little fight with him the other day." I said. "I promise." He said.

"Pinky Promise?" I ask with my bottom lip out. "I Pinky Promise, Kitty" He whispers.

"Viper threatened to kill me at midnight. Bubbles helped me escape. That's when I found Destiny. She helped me back here and promised to come back and help me more." Race nodded slowly, but I could tell he was bottling up his anger.

He stopped petting my hair and starting taking deep breaths. "You Pinky Promised." I reminded

"And I intend to keep that promise. I'm worried that he'll come after you." He said through his teeth, still containing his anger.

I gasp softly. I didn't think about that part. Race could sense my worry. "Hey! Hey. Remember the night that we kissed. I told you I wouldn't let anything happen to you and I won't. I know I've been doing a pretty shitty job of doing it so far, but this time, I'm not letting you go."