six

We all parted ways so we could get the word out to other Newsies about the strike. I'm finally going to Brooklyn. Even though Jack made me tuck my hair in my hat, so people would think I'm a boy, I am still going to Brooklyn. We made it to the Brooklyn lodging house and some of the Brooklyn boys approached us. "Yes?" One said.

"We're here to see Spot." Jack informed. "Who are you?" The other one asked. "Jack Kelly, This is Davey, Les, and this is my sister, Kat." Jack introduced, he said my name quietly, looking around for creeps. Spot smirked at me but it quickly faded. "'Hattan Newsies?" The boys looked at each other and Jack nodded.

One of the boys went into the lodging house and came back out with Spot. "Jack Kelly." He said, as he motioned for the other boys to go back inside. "Why does your sister look like a boy?" Spot asked right off the bat. "She-" Jack started. "Let her answer." Spot cut him off.

"Jack thought it would be safer if I looked like a boy in a big city like Brooklyn." I explain, He hums. "So, Why are you's here?" Spot asked.

"You know that Pulitzer raised the prices for the papers. We think that is unfair considering how most newsies already live. We organized a strike and-" Davey was cut off. "Bold. I'm impressed. Think he will actually lower it? You's just kids." Spot pointed out.

"If we don't sell papes, people don't get papes, which lowers their circulation. With low circulation, he doesn't get money. He'll have to listen." I explain. "Smart brain." Spot looked at me and smirked, but his expression faded as he looked at the four kids.

"Why do you need Brooklyn?" Spot asked. "With all the newsies in the loop of the strike, it would be more effective if no newsies sells papes, not just Manhattan. Also, if Brooklyn back us up, the rest of the city will." I concurred.

"What about the wagons?" Spot asked. "We stop them tomorrow." I said bluntly. Spot raised his eyebrows. "That won't end well. How do we know you won't stop at the first sign of trouble?" Spot coaxed.

"We won't. We won't stop until that price is lowered to where it's supposed to be. We should be treated as respectable employees , we deserve a reasonable price." I huffed.

"Well, Kat, was it? You can handle yourself pretty well. You don't need to be seen as a boy. But, we can't back you up, I'm not having my boys getting hurt if your boys back out. I can't only trust your word. But good luck." Spot nodded at me and left back into the lodging house.

I let out a big breath out of frustration. "I'm taking a walk." I say as I walk away from the boys. How can he not trust us. Ugh. I found an alley way and I sat on a trash can, thinking. None of the cities are gonna follow if Brooklyn doesn't. We're screwed. "Hello, there." said a deep voice. I look up and see a man in the alley. I quietly clear my throat and put on my best man voice.

"Hello." I simply say. "What is a kid like you doing here?" The man asked. "Just thinking" I said deeply. "I better get back to my brother." I tried to walk out of the alley but the man grabbed my arm, which made me stop abruptly, causing my braids to fall out of my hat.

"Ooo. Why lie about being a boy, darling." He said. "Let me go." I hissed in my normal voice. "And I suspect your brother is waiting for you?" The man said, as if the brother is fake. "Yes he is actually" I say louder, getting my wrist out of his grasp.

"Wow, girl's got power. But, you ain't getting away that easily. Come into the light." He ordered. I couldn't see his face and he couldn't see mine.

I didn't follow his order but he pushed me into the light, I stumbled and fell to the ground. "Katrina Kelly." The man said, walking into the light. Snyder.

"Been waiting for your presence at The Refuge." He smirked. "What are you doing in Brooklyn?" I said, venom hissed in my voice.

"Looking for kids that escaped my clutches...and I found one. Jack isn't gonna save you now. I want my ring back." He said. "Ring?" I ask, genuinely confused. "Don't act dumb!" He grabbed the collar of my shirt and held me up.

He looked down at my hand and saw my mother's ring. "That ring!" He barked. "That's my mother's ring, not yours! My father gave it to my mother." I explain.

Snyder lifts his hand and punched my nose. I gasp in pain. He grabbed my hand and tried to take the ring, but I snatched my hand back and kicked him in his stomach.

"You'll regret that." He growled. I tried running away but he grabbed my leg, which made me slam straight into the concrete. That's gonna leave a mark on my chin. He pulled my leg, dragging me towards him.

"Give me that ring! Then, straight to The Refuge! You won't get away this time!" He snarled. He turned my body over, and I pretended to be unconscious. He chuckled in a horrible way and slid the ring off my hand. I didn't care if he took it, I needed to get to Jack.

I suddenly opened my eyes and punched him. He was paralyzed for a moment, enough time for me to stand up. I turned to run but he grabbed my wrist, I heard a pop in my shoulder and moaned in pain. Snyder took a good look at me and punched my eye. I groaned in pain again. I took my arm away from him and I ran, faster than I have ever ran before. I see Jack, Davey and Les standing around waiting for me. I got to Jack and grabbed his arm. "Snyder!" I cried.

I ran and didn't look back. I didn't know if Snyder was still chasing us, but I didn't take the chance. We crossed the Brooklyn Bridge and I didn't stop running. "Kat. Kat. Katrina!" Jack shouted. I stopped running. "He's gone." He said, out of breath.

Then, the tears fell. I let go of Jack and walked away.

JACK'S POV.

Davey, Les and I were talking about the strike while we were waiting for Kat. Then, I saw her running to us, she grabbed my wrist and kept running. "Snyder!" She cried. I gasped and looked behind us and there he was, chasing us. Les jumped on Davey's back and started running behind us.

As we were running, I noticed Kat's shoulder. There was a big lump under her shirt. It looked like her shoulder was out of place. We ran all the way to the Brooklyn Bridge when I looked behind us, I saw Snyder wasn't chasing us. "Kat. Kat! Katrina!" I shouted. She stopped running.

"He's gone." I say, panting. Kat looked at me and tears fell from her face. I should have never let her come to Brooklyn. She turned away and walked away. Davey and Les started going, but I held them back. "She wants to be alone. Let her." I inform.

We take another way to the lodging house.

KAT'S POV

I got back to the lodging house and ran in. I sat on my bunk and hugged my knees to my chest. Minutes later I see Specs sitting down next to me. "Kat? What happened!" He said, concern filling his voice. I explain everything. "It was horrible, Specs." I cried. "I know." He hugged me tightly.

I saw him look at my shoulder. "Kat. Your shoulder." He said. I looked at my shoulder and saw it was dislocated. I sigh. "Hold my arm and pop it into place, please." I order.

When I was at the Refuge before, Snyder dislocated my shoulder, I had to pop it back in myself, It didn't hurt too bad. Specs was hesitant on doing so. "Just do it." My voice hitched. "Countdown?" He asked, I shook my head.

He breathed deeply and popped it into place. I grunted loudly and flinched. "I'm sorry." He apologized. "It's not your fault." I mutter. I look down to my hand and tears fall faster. "My mother's ring. He took it." I say, no emotion showed in my voice. "We'll get it back...somehow." He assured me. I fell asleep