two

The Delancey's gave up on chasing us and we lined up at Weasel's stand to get papes. "Good morning, Weasel. Did you    miss me?" Jack joked. "That's Wise-el!" He lectured. "Ain't that what I said? I'll take the usual." He said as he slapped down his money. "A hundred papes for the wise guy." Weasel growled as Oscar hands him the papers

"Hello, Wisellll!" I drag out the L, leaning against a post. "And here's Kelly #2! Yay!" He said sarcastically. "You look amazing today!" I say, looking him up and down, and playing with a strand of my hair. I heard Race, who was behind me say "Me too." Wanting me to try to get him a discount "You know, if you give me and Race a discount...I'll visit you more" I lick my lips then bite down on them "It ain't working on me, kid! Not today!" He said, not impressed. "Ugh. I thought it would work today! Sorry Race!" I complain as I slap down my money. Every day I attempt to flirt with Weasel to give me a discount, it only worked once, he never fell for it again "100 papes for Ms. Flirt" He says as Oscar give me a papers.

"How's it going,Weasel?" Race smiled. "At least call me "mister." Weasel said. "I'll call you sweetheart if you'd spot me    fifty papes." He flirted. "Not you flirting now. Drop the cash and move it along." He hissed. Race dropped money on the counter. "Whatever happened to romance?" Race smirked as he grabbed his papes.

"He tough to break!" Race complain as he walks to me. "I need to up my flirting game" I sigh as I sit on the wagon, beginning to read the pape. Before I could get past the first sentence, I heard Weasel say, "Have a look at  this:  a  new kid" My head snaps up. I lean over to Race. "Maybe I could flirt with him to have him give me half his earnings" I joke. Race playfully roles his eyes at me. "Yeah. Keep dreaming, Kitty"

Kitty. He is the only one who calls me Kitty. I love it. I see the new kid counting his papes. He furrows his eyebrows. "Sorry.    Excuse me. I paid for twenty but you gave me nineteen." He accuses.

"You seen how nice I was to dis new kid? And what did I get for my civility? Ungrounded accusations" Weasel fumed. "I just want what I paid for!" The kid said. I strolled over to the new kid, took his papers and counted them. "He said beat it!" Oscar said, cracking his knuckles.

"Woah! New kid's right, Weasel! You gave him 19! Hey! I'm sure it was an honest mistake, I mean, Oscar can't even tie his shoes let alone count to twenty." I sassed. I smirked when I saw Oscar start to charge at me, but Weasel held him back. "Wow, Wiesel! You held him back! Oh love is real!" I said, as I lean over the counter and hold his hands. Wiesel jumped at the touch, but I was just getting the paper that sat in his hands.

"Oh my gosh! Did you see his face! He liked it! That's illegal, buddy!" I cackled as the newsies erupt in laughter. I give the new kid his papes back, with his 20.

"Give him another fifty papes!" Jack slaps money down on the counter. The new kid waves his hands. "I don't want more papes!" He said. I laugh, surprised. "What kind'a Newsie don't want more papes?" Jack and I said in unison.

"I'm no charity case. I don't even know you." The kid takes his brother by the hand and walks away. The kid gets out of his grasp and points to us. "Their names are Jack and Katrina!" "This here is the famous Jack and Katrina Kelly. They once escaped  jail  on  the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage. Made all the papes." Crutchie exclaimed.

"I prefer Kat" I comment. "How old are you, kid?" Jack asked. The little kid held his head high "I'm ten...almost!" He smiled. "If anyone asks, you're seven! Younger sells more papes." I inform. "And...if we gonna work together." Jack adds.

"Who said we're working together!" The older kid says. Race scoffs "Sellin' with Jack and Kat is the chance of a  lifetime. You learn from them, you learn from the best." He smiles at me. I melt at the sight of the smile.

"If their the best, what do they need with me?" He asks. "Cause you got a ten year old brother and we don't." I said

"Look sad, kid." Jack says. The kid sticks his lip out and tilts his chin up more. "Ohh! We're gonna make millions!" I exclaim. "This is my brother David.  I'm Les" The kid says.

"Nice to meet  ya, Davey. My two bits come off the top, and we split everything 70-30." Jack starts to walk away and I sit on the wagon. "50-50! You wouldn't try to pull a fast one on  a little kid." Les argues.

I laugh and look at Specs who sits next to me, who is also surprised. "60-40 and that's my final date offer." Jack bargained. Les looked at Davey for confirmation and he nodded. "Deal!" Les said

Jack spit his hand and Les did the same, they shook hands. "That's disgusting." Davey cringed. "It's just business!" Jack smiled. "You ain't gonna help him?" Albert nudged me. I look up from my paper. "Nah. Jack's got him." I said and continue reading the paper.

"Newsies, hit the streets. The sun is up, the headline stinks, and this kid ain't getting' any younger!" Jack ordered. I take my papes and go to my regular selling spot, the most busy street in Hattan.