eleven

I took my a hundred papes to my usual selling spot, around Medda's theater. I get a lot of good customers after shows. I see this woman and her daughter. "Hello! Would you like to buy a paper?" I ask the woman.

The woman nods and smiles at me. Then, the little kid starts jumping up and down. "Mommy! That's Katrina Kelly!" The girl squeals. The lady looked at her kid and back at me. "Why, It is! Wow. My daughter loves you! She looks up to you. She thinks it's amazing how you stood up to Mr. Pulitzer as a girl. She has the newspaper article taped to her wall" The woman explains

Paper article? All about me? I never heard about that. "Wow." I look down at the girl and get down on her level. "I'm glad I made an impression on you! Remember, just because your a goil, doesn't mean you is any less than the bois" I smile at her and ruffle her hair.

The girl clings to my leg, as a hug. I say goodbye to the happy family and move on to other customers. Did someone write something about me? Hm. I see a man coming out from the theater.

"Hello, sir" I said, moving my hair. flirtatiously. The man looked me up and down and smiled. "Wanna paper?" I smiled moving closer to him. The man eagerly nodded and gave me the money. I handed him the paper and he tried to kiss me but I moved just in time.

The man walked away in a huff. "You know, doing that can be very dangerous." A boy said from behind me. I turn and see Viper, in his new fancy clothes "Viper? Why are you in 'Hattan? And why are you dressed like that?" I ask suspiciously

"I wanted to talk to you, and I gots me some money. I can be better for you." He smiled and came closer to me. I slowly backed up. "Viper, I broke up with you for a reason." I said

"Cause you got to mushy with those boys you live with." He said in disgust.

FLASHBACK

TW: ABUSE, SEXUAL ASSAULT

I went to the Queens border, where I always meet Viper. As I'm walking, I see him already there. Oop. I'm late. Hopefully he won't mind. I was held up. I smile as I approach him

He wraps his arms around my waist and I kiss him. I pull away and say. "I'm sorry for being late. The poker game ran late with the boys. Only Race and I were left and it took a while. But I won!" I exclaim as I hold up the money I had scored from Race.

"You were held up by those boys?" His eyebrows furrow. "Yeah. But it doesn't matter, cause I is here now." I say as I go in for another kiss, but he declines it.

"You were held up by those boys?" He says again. "Yes? I already said that. It was really fun. I'm sorry, though" I said. "And I have money so we can get a cheap dinner." I smile

"You are getting really close with those boys." He said in disgust. "Well, I've been around them for as long as I can remember and I live with them. Their my bestfriends." I say as I leave his arms, confused on why he's mad.

"Are you mad?" I ask, pondering why. "Yes! You is hanging around these boys like it's nothing! I don't like it!" He yelled.

"I live with them, Viper. What do you want me to do? Live on the street so I don't interact with them?" I ask, jokingly. "No. Become a Queens Newsie!" He suggests, still angry.

"Are you crazy? I can't just leave my friends! My bestfriends! Not to mention my brother" I say, louder than before. "I'm not having you leave me for your dumb Manhattan friends!" He screamed.

"Calm down!" I exclaim, looking around at the people staring. "No! I won't calm down! You is gonna leave that lodging house and become a Queens Newsie!" He screams. "No!" I yell.

He raised his hand and smacked me across the face. "Fine. Don't become a Queens Newsie. I want you to ignore those rats. And you will not break up with me! Cause more of this will happen" He threatens, holding up his hand. "You will not tell anyone about this. GOT IT!" He said, grabbing me.

I nod slowly, terrified

BACK TO PRESENT DAY

"But I'm back, baby." I shivered when he called me that. He grabbed my hand and kissed it. He led me to a secluded corner and pinned me against the wall. "Oh, I missed this. I didn't realize how much I missed this until i saw you." He smiled, running his hands up and down my body. "Stop." I order

He didn't listen. I tried pushing him off me, but he was too strong. "Viper! Stop!" I yell. I tried wiggling my way out of his grasp as he starts kissing my neck. "Viper! Stop! Please!" I beg.

I tried to look around for people to help me when I saw Race. I try and wiggle out of the way of Viper. Race can't see me. "Stop!" I scream, loud enough for Race to hear me.

His eyes lock with mine and his face fills with rage. He ran towards up and jumped on Viper's back. "Get off her!" He growled.

That action got Viper off me and I left the wall. Race jumped off Viper and punched him in the jaw. "That's my goil." Race barked as he pulled me behind him. "Your goil! Wow! I-" I cut Viper off and grabbed Race's hand and left. We got back to the Lodging house. "Are you ok?" Race asked as he hugged me tightly.

"Did you know that guy?" Race asked. I hesitated and shook my head. "I was gonna sell him a pape and... it happened." I lied. "Then, I'm gonna sell with you from now on." He smiled and pulled me back in for a hug.

FLASHBACK

TW ABUSE

Viper continued to hit me, everytime he thought I was talking to one of the boys. Which I was. I told Jack I was gonna meet Viper. He wanted to see me for someone reason at the Queens lodging house.

I jumped on a wagon heading to Queens so I didn't have to walk. I jumped off the wagon and walked to the Queens lodging house. I saw Viper Outside waiting for me. He grabbed my hand and didn't say anything. He brought me to an empty room in the building.

"You liar! I told you not to talk to those rats you live with! I saw you with the one with the glasses today. Walking. Laughing." He shouted. Specs. I was selling with Specs today.

Viper took his hand and hit me. I whined. "Shut up! This is what you deserve!" He screamed. He picked me up and threw me on the ground. He punched my stomach and I groaned. That's gonna leave a big bruise.

He continued to hit me when another Queens newsie yelled through the door. "Aye! Viper! Kelly's here for his sista!" He yelled.

Viper groaned. "Wipe your damn tears. Nothing happened" He scolded. I nod and wipe the tears that fell on my face. Viper opened the door and walked me out of the house. Jack smiled at me. "Medda needs you at the theater." Jack said.

I nod, swallowing my need to tell him about what happened. We started walking to Medda's and I stayed silent.

Jack looked at me. "You ok?" He asked, I nodded. I looked up at him. He held my face, I flinched at the contact. He looked confused on why I flinched, but ignored it. He studied my face. "Was you crying?" He asked, very concerned. I quickly shake my head.

He shrugged as he took my word for it. Then, I slipped. "Damn!" I shout. Jack looked down at me, instead of helping me up. "What's that?" He squinted his eyes at my stomach. My shirt lifted up a little when I fell.

I swore under my breath. Jack sat next to me and touched the mark that formed. "Where did this come from?" He asked. I stayed silent.

"Katrina Kelly! Where did this come from?" He said, more sternly. I didn't say anything. "He did this. Viper." Jack concluded.

I didn't need to nod or say anything, tears just fell. "He did! I'm gonna kill him!" He growled and turned back towards where we came from. "Wait! Don't. It'll make everything worse." I cried.

Jack understood that he threatened me and hugged me. "I'm sorry I didn't see it before. I love you. You need to tell me about this stuff." He said as he sniffed. He was crying. I've never seen my brother cry.