twelve

Race and I collected our papers the next day and started selling. He insisted that I sell with him after what had happened yesterday. I glance over at him. He was waving our his papers and smiling. God, I'm so glad he's mine.

I sell another paper and looked back at Race. A girl was smiling at him. I stroll behind him and wrap my hand in his. "Hey, love" I say to Race. I see him trying to hide his smirk. "Oh! Hello!" The girl holds out her hand for me to shake.

I hesitated, but shook her hand. "You're Katrina Kelly, right?" She asks, still smiling. "Kat, and yes." I answer, still hanging onto Race. The girl takes my hand and drags me away from Race. "I don't want you to think I was flirting with your boyfriend, I was just getting a paper. Acually, may I have one?" She asked holding out her money.

I look down at the paper she paid for from Race. "But you already have one." I say. "Girl, I used to be a newsie myself. I know how hard it is. I want to help as much as I can." She explained and gave me half a dollar. "Ma'am, A paper is only a penny." I correct her.

"Like I said, I want to help as much as I can." She smiled at me. "Destiny." She held her hand out again as she said her name. I shook her hand again and bid her goodbye. I walked back to Race surprised. No one has ever given my 50 cents for one pape. A half dollar. oh, my god.

Race smirks as I approach closer. "Someone was jealous." He wrapped his arm around my waist. "Shut up." I mumbled as I blush.

Race finished selling his papers and he went back to the lodging house early. I told him I would be in later. I finished selling my papers and started back. I was walking back when I ran into a man. "Oh, sorry!" I apologize as I pick up my hat that fell off.

"Kk" Said a deep voice. I look up and see Viper. He's the only one who calls me Kk and i cringe when I hear it now. "Viper. Leave me alone." I said, deeply. "Little Racey isn't here to save you now." He starts. How did he know Race's name? "I-" He cut me off with a paper shoved in my face. "'Katrina Kelly, sister of leader Jack Kelly stands up to Joe Pulitzer. Kat pushed the fact of her sex away to earn her rights that she deserves."' Viper read from the paper. I grabbed it. I scanned the paper, it was the article that the family was talking about.

"Word says you're very famous now. Too famous for me? I have money now. You want me back. Dump your lame ass newsie boyfriend." He says. I shook my head. "Fuck you." I spat. I shoved him away.

I had something i needed to take care of. I walked the streets of Manhattan. Beautiful, I know. I admired the sunset. I arrived at the theatre. I needed to see Katherine. She should be here, she said she was reporting on a flower show, something she wanted to get away from but she needed the job.

I walk in and immediately see Miss Medda. "Kat! My famous performer!" She welcomes as she hugs me. Medda always makes me happy. "Is Katherine here?" I ask straight off the bat. Medda points to a reporters box and I thank her.

I open the door and Katherine's eyes meet mine. "Oh! Hi, Kat." She smiles. "Did you write something about me?" I asked.

Katherine nodded but then she saw the look on my face. "Is it ok?" She asked, concerned. "It's-I-I had a boyfriend before Race and he didn't treat me right and he came back to see me and now he knows everything about me. I- I didn't tell him everything about me." I babbled.

Katherine looked down, embarrassed. "I'm sorry Kat. I should've asked first." I shook my head. "It's not your fault. It's my fault for ever letting him in." I sat in the chair next to hers.

"You didn't know him, Kat. You didn't know." She rubbed my back. "Can I read it?" I looked up at the girl. She nodded and took a paper out from her dress.