ten

I am standing in front of The Refuge. I stroll around to the back and go up to what Jack told me was Crutchie's window. "Crutchie." I whisper. I see his face peer out the window. "Kat?" He asks. "Help me in" I give him my hand and he helps me through the window. "What are you doing here?" Crutchie asks, worried.

"Getting my mother's ring back" I say as I leave the room.

JACK'S POV

I hadn't seen Kat since the theater. I had explained to the boys why we did what we did and told them Katherine's idea of the "The Children's Crusade"

"Has anyone seen Kat?" I ask. A chorus of 'no's' comes at me. "Well, where did you see her last?" I ask them. Most of them say the theater. "Well, where could she have gone?" I say, my voice a bit louder.

"She told me she was going to get her mother's ring" Albert said, nonchalantly. Ma's ring would be in the Refuge. "And you let her go!" I yell. "I didn't know where her mother's ring was!" Albert defended.

"Snyder took her ring! It's at the Refuge! You idiot!" I yelled. "Jack, calm down." Race appeared next to me. Anyone but him. "No! Don't tell me to calm down! We need to talk later." I tell him. He had no right to tell me to calm down when he's swapping spit with my sister. Shouldn't he be worried too.

"How was I supposed to know her ring is at The Refuge! Jack, she's my bestfriend! If I knew that, I wouldn't have let her go!" Albert defended.

"I need to go get her!" I said and turned to leave. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turn to see Specs. "Don't. She can handle herself. She's already there. If you go, then both Kelly's would be there. That's what Snyder wants." Specs explained.

I plopped on her bunk and I see her cap. I hold it and sob. I never cry in front of the boys, but I couldn't help it. My sister is back in the Refuge.

KAT'S POV

I sneak to Snyder's office without getting caught. I rummage through his drawers and finally found this ring. I smile to myself. "Kelly." A voice growled. I look up and see Snyder. "I was willing to erase your criminal record, but this...this is breaking and entering." Snyder sees the ring in my hand. "...And stealing!" He added

"This is my ring!" I hissed. "Your father stole it from me! It's mine!" He barked. He grabbed me by the arm and threw me to the ground. He beat me up. The worst pain I've ever felt. "Jack's not here. Nor is Race. You're staying here." He picked me up. I didn't fight it. I had pain all around my body.

Snyder brought me to Crutchie's room. "Stay with your crip!" He yelled as he threw me on the ground in the room. I groaned and looked up. The boys were helping Crutchie down from the bed. "Kat! I told you not to." Crutchie scolded. "Does Jack know your here?" He asks worriedly. I shake my head with tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry, Crutchie. I'm sorry I didn't help you. I'm sorry for everything!" I cried.

Crutchie wrapped his arms around me and asked the boy around to help me to the bed. One boy helped me up and another boy helped Crutchie up.

There was other boy sharing the small bed with Crutchie. His head perked when he saw me. "Why hello." He said weakly. He came closer to me, as if he was gonna kiss me. "Um...I have a boyfriend." I say. I don't know what Race and I are, but we both like each other, and we kissed.

Crutchie looked at me and smiled. "Boyfriend?" He smirked. I blushed. "I think." I said. "Who!" He said, getting excited. "Race" I smiled

"Ha! Albert owes JoJo 60 cents" I gasp. "You were betting on us!" Crutchie smiled. "Maybe." "You are unbelievable!" I laugh

JACK'S POV

"How we doin' this morning, gents!" I run into Pulitzer's office. "You're behind this! We had a deal!" Pulitzer said. "And it came with a money-back guarantee! And thanks for your lessons on the power of the press." I gave him the money he gave me

"Did you read this, boss? These kids put out a pretty good paper. Very convincing." Seitz complimented. "No doubt written by my daughter" Pulitzer said. I sat in one of them fancy chairs "I'd sign her before someone else grabs her up!" I suggested

I convinced Pulitzer to lower the price. I meet Mr. Roosevelt outside the office. "Sir. I want my sister and my friend out of The Refuge. Katrina Kelly and Crutchie." I said to him. "We will be shutting down the Refuge, thanks to your drawings. We will get your sister and your friend out of there." The governor smiled at me

KAT'S POV

I was sitting in the bed while Crutchie sleeps. I hope Jack comes. Then, someone opens the door. "Uh. Crutchie and Katrina?" The man asked. I wake Crutchie up and the man comes up to us. "Boys, you may leave this place." he said talking to the other boys in the room. He looked up to us, it was a bull. "You two are going back to your friends." He smiles. The bull helps Crutchie and I down and I limped out of the Refuge.

Two bulls came and shut the Refuge down. Why the sudden change? I ask myself. I see newsies square and I squeal. "We're goin' home, Crutchie!" I exclaim.

The bull blows his whistle and let's us to our friend. "Lookit, Jack. It's Crutchie and Kat!" Race exclaimed. "Hey fellas, you miss me!" Crutchie says.

Race's eyes meet mine. I limp over to him and melt in his arms. "I'm sorry! They were going to send you to The Refuge and I couldn't let that-" Race cuts me off. "I don't care. You're here." He smiles.

He closes the gap between us. I could hear cheers from the boys around us. "Atta boy, Race!" Yelled one. "Yes, Kat!" Katherine shouted. I slither my arms around his neck and he squeezes my waist.

This kiss was different then the first. This one was filled with care and happiness. The other one was filled with gentleness and nervousness. I pull away from him, but stay in his arms. I look up at Jack and he had no expression. Not mad, not happy. Race's arms slink around my waist as I look up to the governor.

"And lookit what we got yis: straight from the Refuge. Bring him in fellas!" Crutchie yells. I smirk at Race's confused face.

The bulls bring Snyder out, restrained. "It's Snyder the Spider!" Race exclaims, still hanging on to me. "He ain't looking so tough no more, is he?" Mush smirks.

"Jack, with those drawings you made an eloquent argument for shutting down The Refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated." The governor assured. "Officer, take him away." He ordered

"Please, Your Highness...may we do the honors." Crutchie pleads. Roosevelt nods and Crutchie motions for me to help him. I smirk and Crutchie puts on his handcuffs. "And you'll be laughing all the way to the pen, Little man." Crutchie smiles. "On the count of 3" Crutchie said

We counted and I kicked His back and Crutchie hit him with his crutch."So long sucker!" I yelled and turned back to the newsies "We're free!" I exclaim. Race smiles and scoops me up.

Pulitzer had offered Jack a job but he came down from the stairs. "Don't sweat it, gov. With the strike settled, I probably should be hitting the road." Jack sighed. "Don't you ever get tired of singing that same old tune?" Davey asked

I approached my brother. "What's Santa Fe got that New York ain't?" I ask him, holding his hand. Katherine appeared next to me. "Better yet, what's New York got that Santa Fe ain't" She smiles

Crutchie appears next to Davey. "New York's got us. And we're family." He smiled. "Didn't I hear something about the strike being settled?" Pulitzer asked.

Weasel opened his window, with the Delanceys. "Papes for the newsies. Line up! These papes ain't gonna sell themselves." Weasel announced.

Race grabbed my hand and we lined up for our papers. "Hellooo!" I greet. "What? No discount attempt today?" He teased. "Nope. Not for you. But my selling strat will never change" I glanced at Race.

"100." I slap down my money. "100 for Little Kelly" Weasel said. Morris handed me my papers with a glimmer in his eyes. "Not anymore. My girl." Race stood in front of me, his hand held out for his papers.

Then, I feel a tug on my sleeve. It was Les. "Guys!" He points to Katherine and Jack, swapping spit. I smile at my brother and made a mental note to tease him later. Race smiled as he cheered for the older kids.