🌺 CHAPTER TWENTY TWO🌺

Start from the beginning

And that's when the door clicked and a teacher walked in.

                                 •°•°•
Suprisingly, Noah wasn't mad at me. Once Hannah and I had gotten into the cafeteria and bought our snacks, he called my name and gestured for us to sit with him and his guys.

"I really don't get girls. Nnadzwa's giving you the cold shoulder just because you weren't ready to open up to her?". Noah asked, after introducing me to his friends.

I nodded as I munched on my chin chin.

"That's just messed up." He said.

As if remembering something, Hannah turned to me and brought her lips closer to my ear.

"Your mother wants you to call her the next time she takes you to Evan's house for the project so that she can pick you up when you're done. What are you going to tell her?" She asked.

I thought for a while as I rubbed my chin. "I'll remove my SIM card and put it in yours.".

"Sure." She said and I stared at her shocked.

She wasn't going to lecture me about how much her phone meant to her like she always does? That's new.

"So, Noah, how's the girl experiment going?" I asked, snickering a bit.

He pulled his gaze away from his guys who he seemed to be talking to and stared at me for a second. "I give up! Understanding girls is totally hopeless. Now I understand how stupid that was.".

I glanced at Nnadzwa and Sara who sat opposite us and burst into laughter. "You think.".

Then, I heard the sound of a chair screech. I giggled instead and turned my head to the direction of the sound, and immediately, it morphed into a frown.

"Can I sit here?" Sharon asked, attempting to sit down on a chair beside me.

"No." I said, coldly. Suddenly, Hannah nudged me gently in the ribs, making me turn to her. She glared at me and looked up at the girl.

"If you don't mind me asking, you are?" Hannah asked. I stared at Sharon as she her gaze left mine and a frown wore it's way to her face. I watched as she scrutinized Hannah with her eyes in such a rude manner, right in front of me.

I turned to Hannah, who looked pissed off. "You are?" She asked again.

"Sharon Achebe." Sharon finally answered.

"Oh." Hannah smiled all of a sudden. "Please sit.".

"I didn't ask you, did I?!" Sharon scoffed and looked at me again. "Can I sit?".

I glared at her. "And why would I let you sit here after you just acted rudely to my friend, Hannah?".

Her eyes widened in realization. "S-she's a friend of yours?".

"No. She's a girl I found inside dustbin and told her to sit with me." I hissed. "Leave here joor.".

"Ejiro, it's okay. Let her sit here." Hannah told me, and I turned my head and stared at Hannah in shock.

Hannah who would usually support me in throwing comebacks at someone was the same person advising me to act nicely to someone who had just insulted her.

"Sharon, I don't have saliva to waste on you today. Just leave." I said.

She stared at me, looking quite hurt by what I said, and I watched her turn around and walk away.

"Hannah, why did you do that?" I asked.

"Just because." She said, though that didn't sound quite right.

"This is a guy's table oo. Noah, abi I told you not to allow these girls to come here. I no get strength for wahala oo." A friend of Noah said, and Hannah and I rolled our simultaneously.

"Don't mind him." Noah smiled.

                                  •°•°•
I stared at my wrist watch as I stood in front of a church building.

3:31 PM.

I still had 29 minutes left before the group meeting at Evan's house begin.

How did I get here?

I simply convinced Hannah to come with me to Evan's house and let mother know she was coming with. It seemed mother still wasn't quite herself and she didn't hesitate to let me go.

But I had other plans.

Hannah and I walked into the church building as I observed my surroundings. It seemed as if a mass service had ended minutes ago.

I came to a stop once I had gotten to the front of the altar and knelt down in front of it.

"Ejiro, I still don't get why we're here and not at Evan's." Hannah said.

"Just a minute, Hannah." I told her. I brought my gaze up to the statue of Jesus Christ crucified on the cross which was pinned on the wall.

I clapped my hands together and stared at the statue for a second. "Lord, am I ever going to live a normal life?".

I wished the statue would move all of a sudden and I would watch as it would nod and smile at me, but it remained the same.

"Thank you for everything." I said again. "Thank you for still keeping me alive and blessing me with considerate and caring family members and friends.".

"Thank you for granting me the opportunity to go to school. And despite the death of my father whom I loved so much, you gave me the strength to move on, and I also thank you for that.".

"Lord, I come to you today to ask for your protection. Oh Lord, protect me from evil men and cover the eyes of my enemies so that they will not see me to fight. Destroy the plans of the evil and give me the strength to put an end to my problem once and for all. And I pray that whatever sins I may committed, knowingly and unknowingly, will not prevent my prayer from reaching your ears. Amen.".

I stared at the statue one last time and smiled. "I know my prayer is already answered.".

I stood up and turned to Hannah, who had her legs crossed on a bench as she stared at me. "You ready?". She asked.

"Ready." I said, and we made our way out of the church.