78(Part I): Till Death Do Us Part

Start from the beginning

"I do." Derrek answered, his smile widening and my smile mirrored his. I couldn't believe this was actually happening. It felt like a dream, a beautiful dream.

"Do you, Tiaraoluwa Digiola, take this man, Derrek Dune to be your lawfully wedded husband. To love and to hold, in sickness and in health, for better for worse til death do you part?"

"I do." I promised, my smile getting wider than I thought possible. Derrek mouthed an "I love you" and I mouthed one back to him. He was only a few moments from becoming my husband, this beautiful man. How did I get so lucky?

"If anyone has an objection to this marriage, speak now of forever hold—"

"I object!" A voice called out before the minister could finish his speech and my head snapped in the direction of the voice. My heart pounding in my chest from fear.

Who had objected and why?

"I object to this wedding!" Candice walked down the aisle with a gun raised in the air as she lifted her hand to object. She had a sick look on her face. "If you both continue with this madness, I will not hesitate to blow your heads off." She pointed the gun towards the altar where we were stood. How could she bring a gun into the house of the Lord?

I gasped, suddenly fearing for my life. Candice was even crazier than I thought. I didn't doubt for a second that she would have hesitated before shooting me. I was very certain that she had come here to kill me just like she said she would do if I married Derrek.

The crowd gasped as they set their eyes on the gun in Candice hand and they all ran for their lives, leaving my parents, the pastor, Derrek and I panicking.

"Candice, what are you doing?" Derrek stepped in front of me to shield me from his psycho ex who was pointing a gun at me. "Put the gun down and let's talk." He urged her.

"I'm done talking!" She yelled. "I have tried to reason with you many times, Derrek! I've tried to show you that we belong together! We're soul mates! Why can't you see that?"

"Candice—"

"Everything was perfect before that man stealer came into the picture. Sure, I do blame myself for letting you approach her. Yes, that was totally my fault but how could you let her sink her claws into you? Can't you see she's trying to tear us apart?"

I peeked out from behind Derrek to see Candice take a few steps closer to us. She was fuming as she glared at Derrek.

"Young lady, this is not the right way to go about this. The Lord does not want you to ruin your life like this. Put the gun down, my child. Do not let the devil use you like this." The pastor called Candice's attention and she gave a humorless laugh.

"The Lord is on my side. I have been wronged and I need justice. No one can fault me for that! Now, one more word out of you and I would have to shoot you." She threatened the pastor before turning back in our direction.

Derrek took another step back and I did as well. My heart was pounding in my chest and my entire body trembled as I watched the angry woman. She didn't look like the stereotypical crazy ex girlfriend with smeared mascara and red lipstick with her hair standing in all directions. No, she was well dressed in a black laced dress and black boots. She had put a lot of effort into her makeup, going for a goth look which made her much scarier. Her hair was tied in a ponytail, probably so nothing obstructed her view when she decided to kill me.

"Derrek, you are going to marry me this instant or you're both going to meet your maker." Candice threatened and I gripped the back of Derrek's jacket. I was terrified of dying. I couldn't help but think of the things I'd never get to do, all the memories I'd never get to make if Candice killed me. My family would have been so broken. I didn't want to cause them that kind of pain. I really didn't want to die.

"This is madness! Until when are you going to keep acting like a crazy person! There's nothing you can do to make me go back to you! I would rather die, so, shoot me if you can bear it!" Derrek took a bold step forward.

"Derrek, please!" I called out to him as he took another bold step towards Candice.

"I swear I'll shoot!" Candice yelled out, although, I noticed her hand tremble a little.

"I would rather die than leave Tiara and that's because I love her, to death! That's something you would never understand because you're incapable of loving anyone but yourself!" Derrek yelled at her and I worried that he was only provoking her.

"How can you say that? Derrek, I love you!" Candice cried. "I'm the one who was with you in your darkest moments! Me and not her! You can't do this to me! I won't let you!"

Before I could blink, Candice turned the gun towards me and fired. I hadn't realized what had happened until I saw the look of horror on Derrek's face as he turned to me accompanied by the screams of my mother. Slowly, I looked down to see blood soaking the left lower waist of my wedding dress. After that, the pain registered in my mind and I felt such an immense pain shoot through my body which immediately brought me down to my knees.

"You will never be happy without me, Derrek! Never!" I heard Candice yell as I fell backwards to the ground.

Derrek scooped me up with tears in his eyes as he glanced down at me, afraid. My vision had started to blur and my eyes got heavier with every passing moment. The pain increased with every breath I took and I could feel the life slipping out of me as I bled out. I knew I didn't have much time left and I was terrified of leaving this world.

"Tiara, I-I-I—" Derrek could barely form a complete sentence as he cupped my face, little sobs escaping his lips. "I-I'm sorry. T-This is all M-my fault."

This was the last time I would see Derrek and it was heart breaking to see him cry because of me. I wish I could have seen him smile. I loved his smile and I loved it when his eyes sparkled. I also loved it when he looked at me with so much love in his eyes but right now, he looked broken and shattered and there was nothing I could do to fix him.

"I-I love you." I managed to say through the pain and Derrek completely broke down in tears. I lifted my weak hand to touch his face one last time. I never wanted to forget his face.

"I love you too. More than you will ever know." He said in between sobs and placed his palm over mine. He placed a few kisses on my palm and I gave him one last smile before I let go, taking my last and final breath.

**************************************************************