- Give me a few more days. Alright, I'll talk to you later. Maybe next week. Bye. - He hangs up and drops the phone on the table in front of the couch. - What's going on?

- I already told her to go home. - The woman crosses her arms. I hate the way she's talking like I'm a child she needs to get rid of. - But she didn't. We need to talk about the industries. I don't think your latest one night stand should be here for that.

His latest what now?

- Dear God... - Tony looks at the roof as if he's praying for patience. - Pepper, this is Grace, a friend from college. She has been living with me for a while now.

- What? - Mystery Woman, or I guess Pepper, scoffs loudly. - Is that why you disappeared from the public eye? To play house with this stale thing?

- Watch your mouth. - He takes a step closer to her and not in a friendly way.

- I'll just go to my room. - I stand up and try to walk out, but Pepper stops in front of me, blocking the way. - Look, I don't want to cause problems. If you need to have a business conversation, I'll just leave. No problem.

- Grace, you've done nothing wrong. Pepper's just not used to me having friends. - Tony glares at her. - I'll talk to you. I'll sign whatever you want, but leave her out of this.

- Whatever. - She steps away and I run upstairs, not stopping until I've locked the door behind me.

After pacing for a few minutes, I sit on the edge of the mattress and take a deep breath. It's fair to assume she's an ex, although Tony never mentioned her. Well, in all fairness he never talked about that kind of thing. 

Is she the person who left the purple soap in the room I'm sleeping in? Why did he never say anything about her before? I know so many stories about Iron Man and his childhood, but I know nothing about Tony Stark. Not in the present anyway. What the fuck just happened?

Tony

Watching her run out of the room makes me want to follow, but I have someone else to deal with now. Said person is impatiently clicking her heels and looks pissed.

- Give me the goddamn papers. - I grab the file she's carrying.

One last signature and it's official: I'm back at the position of CEO of Stark Industries, the only thing that still linked me to my now ex-girlfriend. The sound of the pen rasping against paper is almost painful as I take in its full meaning. It's over. The woman I thought I might someday marry is just a stranger.

- She's cute. - Pepper comments, her voice carried with mockery, and it reminds me she's not the woman I fell in love with. Not anymore. - Tell me, does she know everything that happened?

- Fuck off! - I shove the papers in her chest with such strength she steps back, not expecting me to do this. - And get the hell out of my house.

Pepper gives me a stern look like she's trying to decide if it's worth it to lecture me. I should've known we would collapse when she asked for that break before the Accords scandal broke out. It was obvious we were heading to the end, but there was a part of me that expected us to reunite. Maybe I've read too many second chance romance books. Her eyes roll as she checks the signatures. How stupid of me to think we'd ever make it right.

- I never thought we would end like this. - She mutters under her breath, but intentionally loud enough for me to hear.

- Pepper, you dumped me! - I yell in response and she just shakes her head. - It was literally the worst time of my life and you couldn't take it, so you fucking left. Remember?

- Can you blame me? - Pepper challenges, putting the signed papers in her purse. - I don't even recognize you, Tony. What have you become?

- Goodbye, Virginia. - I point to the door, the irritation making my chest burn.

She scoffs loudly and walks out, slamming the door so hard the chandelier shakes. I sit on the same couch that 10 minutes ago Grace and I finished watching 'Good Will Hunting'. It was such a nice time.

As if she could read my thoughts, I hear the sound of soft footsteps descending the staircase and try to get more composed.

- Hey. - Grace sits next to me, crossing her legs. - Are you ok?

- How much did you hear? - I ask, unable to face her for some reason.

- The part you yelled.

We sit in silence for a moment, trying to digest the situation that just took place. I was going to kiss her. Why didn't I?

I gather enough courage to look at her and there's not a single straw of judgment in her face, just like there wasn't any when I told her about Ultron or the Accords.

- I'm sorry. - I say, unsure even what for. So many things.

- Tony, you don't have to apologize. - Grace grabs my hand. - I'm just ... that sounded intense.

- One way to put it.- I intertwine our fingers.

I shouldn't, God knows this is wrong, but I can't help it anymore. This comfort she gives me is intoxicating. She smiles at our joint hands.

- Do you wanna talk about it?

Fuck, she's so nice, how's it possible? Grace was certainly experimented on, the woman has so many scars not even the long sleeves she insists on wearing cover everything. I can't begin to imagine what must be underneath that, and I'd be lying if I said I've never imagined her naked. But she has this delicacy and kindness that are absolutely unparalleled.

- Not really. - I sigh, exhausted.

- Do you want a hug?

My chin dips down, and for the second time in less than a week, I find myself with her arms wrapped around my shoulders. For the next few minutes, Grace strokes my hair and rubs my back, making me feel like the most comfortable man on the planet.

I didn't know it was possible to melt in someone's touch like this, she brings me a safety I haven't felt in years. Hell, I don't think I've ever felt like this.

The whole thing is extremely overwhelming, but I refuse to cry in front of her again. As usual, my body doesn't give a fuck about what I want and silent tears flood my eyes.

- It's ok. - Grace whispers, sensing this somehow because she can't see my face. - Just let it out, it's okay.

Her words work like a spell and I turn into a sobbing mess. I cry over Pepper leaving me. Rhodey's paralysis. Roger's betrayal. And everything else that happened in the past 6 months when everything turned upside down. Grace doesn't move but rather holds me tighter. In a way I didn't know, until right now, that I've been needing my whole life.