"Good luck with that. There's no way that man doesn't already know that."

"Still, I like to at least talk to him." Esme made her way back inside.

Fyn looked at Kara. "So just us two?"

"I'm not going to let Esme spend the New Years by herself," answered Kara. "But you should go ahead. Have a good time."

"I understand. I'll probably only be out for a little. I'll try to get back in time for the New Year."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to. I would rather spend the New Year with you two anyways."

"What do you plan to do then?" asked Kara.

"Just going to grab some stuff for tonight."

"Drinks?"

"Among a couple of things," answered Fyn. "I'll see you soon."

****

Fyn was covered in a large hoodie as he walked among the protesters. He had the hood over his head so no one would recognise him. Under his hoodie, he wore an armor arm just in case he got into any trouble.

The protesters held signs that read from Down with Esme Cyr to Send the refugees home.

Fyn ignored all of these people as he looked for their leader. He searched for Brodie Noble, but couldn't find him.

The protesters did look like they had a leader, but it wasn't Brodie Noble. The man had a microphone and led the protesters around the facility.

"Yo," Fyn called out to the guy with the microphone. "Wasn't Brodie Noble supposed to be here?"

"He's not coming. He left me in charge. I'm McKnight. Anything I can help with?"

"I'm all set," answered Fyn. "Never met Brodie Noble before. Wanted to say hi."

"Maybe next time."

Fyn didn't say another word as he snuck off between the crowd. He made his way out of the crowd and towards downtown. He kept his head down, not wanting to be recognised by anyone.

He made it downtown and to his favorite bar, La Cantina. He took a seat and waited for the bartender to come to him.

"What can I get you?" she asked when she reached him. Fyn pulled his hood off. "Fyn," she exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Trying to have a good time before the clock hits New Years," he answered. "You heard about the protesters outside of our headquarters? They're kind of putting a damper on our celebration."

"I've heard. I don't understand why those people chose today of all days to have a protest," said the bartender. "You'd think they would be trying to celebrate the day like everyone else."

"You would think that," said Fyn.

"That Brodie Noble is something else, organizing that."

"And he didn't show up to the protest," said Fyn. "Can you believe that?"

"No, I cannot. So he prepared a protest on New Year's Eve and didn't show up for the protest?"

"That's right."

"And they're still protesting?"

"Correct. He left some guy named McKnight in charge."

"Never heard of him."

"Neither have I, but I guess he's enough to have the show go on."

"Well that sucks. Anything I can get you to try and make your day a little better?" said the bartender in a flirtatious manner.