nine

When Bella woke the next morning, the tent was empty

When Bella woke the next morning, the tent was empty. Daryl hadn't even bothered to wake her up when he left like he usually did.

It was odd.

She rolled off her mattress and crawled out of her tent, feeling the heat once again immediately.

Everyone was moving around the camp, doing their own things and Bella saw Lori and Carol moving towards Hershel's house holding supplies. Bella stared after them curiously but then she saw Glenn and Maggie talking and it almost looked like flirting.

Bella rolled her eyes and began walking away when she saw T-Dog working over something.

"Hey, have you seen my dad?" Bella asked.

"He took a horse out to look for Sophia." He answered.

Bella nodded and strolled away after that. As she was walking again, she was suddenly thrown to the ground by Carl. She rolled several feet, dirt sticking to her skin as he pinned her arms to the ground and sat on top of her glaring.

"Looks like you're starting to get better." Carl said.

Bella chuckled softly. "Yeah, and when I get 100%, I'll beat your ass."

Carl pulled Bella back to her feet and wrapped his arms tightly around her and they began laughing. It was a perfect moment and Bella almost forgot about the drama from last night. From Carl's happiness Bella could tell that Lori hadn't told him.

"Walker!" Andrea screamed.

Bella's eyes widened and sprinted over to the RV where everyone was gathering. Andrea held up her rifle, aiming at something far in the distance that was coming from the edge of the woods.

"Is it just the one?" Rick asked as he sprinted forward.

"I bet I can nail it from here." Andrea said.

"No, no. Andrea, put the gun down." Rick ordered.

"You'd best let us handle this." Shane added.

"Shane, hold up. Hershel wants to deal with Walkers." Rick responded.

"What for, man?" Shane questioned. "We got it covered."

And with that the men in the group sprinted off into the field towards the walker. Bella didn't hesitate as she followed the adults into the field.

The adults were about two feet away from the Walker when they suddenly stopped and turned back towards Bella tearfully.

Bella ran towards them and what she saw shattered her heart. At first, she saw her father as a Walker and tears spring from her eyes. Then, she saw the blood and dirt and she realized he was alive, the tears of grief turning to tears of relief.

Bella darted forward into Daryl's arms, and he stumbled as he squeezed her tightly before looking weekly at Rick, who held his gun at him.

"It's the third time you've pointed that thing at my head. You gonna pull the trigger or what?" Daryl snapped.