one

Early in the morning, Bella sat the grass with Carl

It was unusual for her to form a connection so quickly, to trust easily, even though it was tentative. There was something about the way Carl smiled, a warmth, a genuineness, a softness of spirit that she couldn't resist. He listened as if he were absorbing her words, not just waiting for his turn to speak.

The more time she spent with him, the more her spirits lifted. He was the new friend she needed.

Belly looked around and noticed that some people were missing from camp. Glenn, Andrea, T-Dog, Morales and Jacqui were absent, along with Merle and Daryl. She wondered where they were.

"Dale, I'm heading out." Lori called out to Dale, who stood on top of the RV with binoculars around his neck. She then turned to Carl. "Sweetheart, I want you to stay where Dale can see you, okay?"

Carl nodded. "Yes, mum."

"You too, Bella. I want you near Dale." Lori added.

"Sure." Bella said simply.

"You too." Dale told Lori. "Don't wander too far. Stay within shouting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running."

Lori nodded before making her way towards the forest. Bella narrowed her eyes at the woman walking into the forest to find more mushrooms. Something told her that Lori was up to something.

••••

The sky was grey, and there was a chill in the air. Bella sat beside Carl on a piece of wood as Shane taught them how to tie a knot. It was a little bit exciting to learn a new skill.

"And three, two, one, pull it." Shane instructed. Bella wrapped the rope around itself and pulled it. He chuckled as the kids restarted. "Make your P the other way, around your finger."

"Hello, base camp! Can anybody out there hear me?" A voice called out through the radio. "Base camp, this is T-Dog. Anybody hear me?"

Everyone went silent before rushing towards the radio. Bella got up and followed the adults towards the RV. Dale quickly climbed up the ladder onto the top of the vehicle and grabbed the radio, trying to contact T-Dog.

"Reception's bad on this. Repeat. Repeat." Dale said into the radio.

"Shane, is that you?" T-Dog questioned.

"Is that them?" Lori wondered.

"We're in some deep shit. We're trapped in the department store." T-Dog informed.

Shane sighed. "He say they're trapped?"

"There are Geeks all over the place. Hundreds of 'em. We're surrounded." T-Dog informed over the crackling radio.

The fear for their safety worried Bella. She knew she didn't know any of them, but that didn't mean they had to die. Even without her father or uncle, she would try to save as many people as she could.