Chapter 11 - Intermezzo

Shen Yuan woke up sometime around noon, with Xu Xiaosi's number safely blocked, twitter uninstalled from his phone (no blocking there or it'd be hell to explain) and no will to get up. Luckily you don't really need a will to do anything when you have a manager sending you angry texts asking why you didn't stay for the cast photo, why you weren't answering messages and attaching a very disgusting looking workout schedule. He really wished it'd be just a four month vacation and not a four month torture.But now, with the barrage of new data, the message exchange started.Shen Yuan: "Wait, did you enlist me in an acting course?"System: "I did. It'll help you improve and it's with a private tutor. You can see it as an investment. I also got you an offer for a tampon ad."Shen Yuan: "I. Will. Not. Do. A. Tampon. Ad."System replied only with a number and a currency. Shen Yuan: "I will do a tampon ad. But why me? I'm a guy, what would I use a tampon for?"A brief pause before he sent the next message."Never mind, I'll just do it. I hope I don't need lube."He dragged himself out of bed after that last reply and went to drink some coffee and shower. He got more info, more schedules, a script but also a message from Jia."We're having a party to watch the first episode, are you coming?""Who are you inviting?" he texted back, frowning at his phone.She sent him a list, mostly crew members and one or two minor actors. His gossiping crowd pretty much, all except Xiaosi."If that's really everyone and you're not adding any unexpected guests, I'm in""Great! We're taking a private room at a restaurant, I'll send you the details." He copied them, added it to his now overly complicated schedule and looked down at his cup of coffee. He felt like he wanted to just stay home and do nothing, but this time around he kind of had a reason not to do that. Even if it was annoying and tiring, it was nice to feel busy and wanted. He had friends now, or at least people who wanted him around. That was good enough for him. He started his training and lessons that week and it wasn't that hard. He got into the tempo quickly and time started to fly by as he improved, step by baby step. The ad was easy enough, it took only a day to film (without inserting any tampons into his anatomy thank goodness). He was, however, accompanied by Ning Yingying who might need tampons sometime, not something he really wanted to picture. Luckily she was as professional as ever.Week three of his not-vacation arrived quickly. It was, at last, time to see himself on screen. He was dreading the idea.In the morning after his post workout-shower he logged into his "Peerless Cucumber" account and started reading the hyped up comments about the upcoming show, feeling a void in his stomach. Too late to turn back now, as of today he was officially a professional asshole. Might as well be an amateur asshole as well."Looking forward to the first episode of Proud Immortal today. I just hope they didn't give Airplane Shooting Towards the Sky too much of a say or this will be a real plane crash! Jkjk, it was a plane crash from before, now we can just sit down and watch it burn."He had to stop his cheerful trolling to get dressed and leave to go to the restaurant. Nowadays he had more clothes and managed to look semi decent in a white nondescript short sleeved shirt, jeans, facemask and sunglasses. He didn't really want to show his face in public so much after today. Fans were scary, When he got there some of the crew were seated already around a big table, in front of a big TV. The place looked a bit like a conference room, only people were drinking beers and snacking casually."Hey Shen Yuan!" a cheerful voice greeted him. Ugly extra pointed at an empty seat by his side."-I mean, he actually slept with the kid!" a gossiping female voice was saying.Shen Yuan immediately looked at the woman and ignored the person actually talking to him. He slammed both of his hands on the big table."I will inform you that I never, ever slept with Xu Xiaosi. He and I are not an item nor will we ever be," he practically roared.The room fell silent. Everyone looked at him, stunned."You... why..." the woman who had been talking before and was receiving a death glare stammered. A heartbeat later her eyes lit up, she figured it out."I meant the director. He slept with one of the interns even though he's married! Not you and...""Oh my god!" one of the newer makeup girls shrieked, "he did what?! Which one of the rookies?!" The table became a chaos of gossip again and the attention was mercifully shifted away from Shen Yuan.He closed his eyes, his face burning with embarrassment as he sat down."Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I know he kissed you," whispered ugly extra."Wait, what? You saw?""Yeah, I was kinda stalking you since I was bored. Don't worry dude, you won't see him around anymore. Did he harass you?"Shen Yuan's eyes looked troubled and out of focus. He didn't answer."You don't have to answer. I'm an outsider and don't know much but you two seemed to have an amazing chemistry. I was rooting for you, really, until I saw on his fanpage he's over at that girl's place. So sorry, man," he patted his shoulder, "he sucks.""I have no interest in Xu Xiaosi," replied Shen Yuan coldly."Of course not, the bastard! Hey, is that your phone? You're getting a ton of notifications!"The shitty little extra actually took his phone and looked, and a sudden smug smile appeared on his face."Give me that you asshole," Shen Yuan grabbed the device."So sorry, you're a big star, of course you're really busy! But if you have some time for this silly newbie, would you consider letting me repay my impertinence with a drink after this?""Sure, whatever," Shen Yuan wasn't paying attention anymore, the theme song was playing already. A waitress brought in some more snacks but not even food took his eyes away from Xiaosi's young face on screen. He looked like a perfect, innocent little lotus. This time around he could stare at him all he wanted."Shizun!" The episode started with Xiaosi's line and Shen Yuan felt the stab to his heart. Luckily a flashback came immediately after, with the child actor who only appeared for a few brief moments. He felt a dull ache in his chest, even the embarrassment of seeing himself hitting a little 7-year-old on screen wasn't so acute in comparison.In the end it was a good production, the story made sense, the pictures were aesthetically pleasing, the music was on point, but Shen Yuan felt raw inside. A myriad of silent emotions had scraped his chest until he was bleeding and nobody saw. "Great job everyone!" The avalanche of praise started, lively and cheerful."Congratulations!""That was great!"The extra pulled on Shen Yuan's sleeve."Hey let's go elsewhere, come now," he whispered and left some money on the table for the both of them.Shen Yuan was dragged outside. The chilly evening air was a stark contrast to the warmth inside, with soft lights and laughter. They were standing on the sidewalk, few people on the street minding their own business. The other man took a moment before speaking up."I know your secret.""What?" Shen Yuan went from lost in thought to shocked, a bit paler than before."What secret? He kissed me, I did nothing, there's no secret!"The other man waved his hand as if dismissing that thought."No, no, not that. I know who you are. I saw your messages just now on your phone, Mr. Peerless Cucumber."Shen Yuan frowned. Was that his secret? He wasn't hiding it really, just not talking about it."It's not much of a secret, why do you care? Wait, do I know you online?""Check your messages," said the short dude, grinning.Shen Yuan did and his eyes widened. He looked up, at the smug grin, then at his phone.He had a DM from no-one other than Airplane Flying Towards the Sky."You fucking bastard, it's you."

--------------

Thank you for making it until the end of season one, thanks for the warm comments and reading me always. You guys are the best.
Next chapter: Chapter 12 - New beginnings