Let Me Show You - Merthur

Summary:

Merlin can tell that the pressure of now being King of Camelot has gotten to him, and he finds a way to help Arthur decompress.

🧙‍♂️👑🧙‍♂️👑

Merlin was at Arthur's bed, folding his clothes while Arthur was at his table working on a speech. It's only been a week since Arthur has been crowned King of Camelot, and Merlin can see that the new title has put pressure on the young King's shoulder. Merlin wants to help Arthur decompress, but he doesn't know-how. He knows Arthur usually would go out for a hunt or spar with the knights, but Arthur has already done that twice today. The knights need their break as well.

To everyone outside the walls of the King's chambers, Merlin is nothing but a serving boy. But inside, Merlin is Arthur's boyfriend? Lover? Partner? They have yet to define it. It is past the stage of either being shy around each other while still being new. It happened a month before the passing of Uther Pendragon and Arthur's new title.

The first week had been awkward. Neither knew what to do or say or even how to act after their first kiss. It was a heat of the moment kiss when Arthur thought he had lost Merlin in the woods and when Merlin opened his eyes, Arthur was so happy he let his emotion cloud his judgement. He had kissed Merlin long and deep but pulled away once he noticed what was going on, and they were both staring at each other in shock. Arthur had walked away after that, and Merlin stared stupidly at where Arthur had just sat.

The next time the kiss happened, Merlin was annoyed by how they were dancing around each other and pinned Arthur to the wall and kissed him hard. Arthur was shocked but couldn't help reciprocating the kiss. After that, they both revealed that they had more feelings for each other than as friends. It didn't happen right away, but they slowly grew into an understanding. When alone and in the safety of Arthur's chambers, they either can touch or kiss each other, but when out in public, they are the King and the servant. Neither liked the arrangement, but their situation was different. Not only is a King in a relationship with a servant, but this servant is also a man. It isn't typical for two people of the same gender to be in a relationship, and it was almost unheard of. Arthur had promised that they wouldn't hide forever, but he wanted to build a strong foundation in his relationship with Merlin before they went public. He doesn't want the public to break what they have so early on. Merlin agreed and understood and even agreed. He wasn't ready himself.

Merlin was still coming over the shock of Arthur seeing him use his magic only two months prior. Although Arthur is okay with it now, Merlin still doesn't use it in front of Arthur or anyone. He had to hide his magic for so long that he is used to doing most by hand and only using it in danger. Arthur had asked him about it, and Merlin shrugged, saying magic doesn't need to be used for simple things.

Now that both of Merlin's secrets are out to Arthur, he feels lighter, as if a weight has been lifted off of his shoulder. Now Arthur has the weight of Camelot on his shoulder, and Merlin wants to help.

He finally gets an idea when he brings the plates from their dinner back to the kitchen and prays that Arthur would agree.

"Arthur?" Merlin asked when he entered his chambers. He finds Arthur back at his table working away, and Merlin sighs and walks and locks both doors. He walks over to Arthur and stands behind him, looking down at what Arthur has written.

"Arthur?" Merlin tries again, and the only response is Arthur's lips moving as he re-reads what he has already written. Merlin rested both his hands on either side of Arthur's shoulders, and Arthur relaxed into the touch and leaned back in his chair, tilting his head up to look at Merlin.

"Yes, Merlin," Arthur said, stress lacing his voice.

"Come on to the bed. I will help you with the speech tomorrow morning," Merlin said, trying to coax Arthur to bed.