15 Misty

An overdue dinner date

She practically flew as she ran. Winter had come for her. He was real, and he was a dragon. He wanted her and the feel of him in person was so magnetic that her soul wanted to fly.

The men responsible for what had happened to her were all dragonsworn or dead. Winter had done that for her.

She was free. He'd broken the shackles that chained her to the pain and fear of her past. That wasn't why she was running.

Winter McLyon wanted her. She'd seen the hunger in his eyes when he looked at her. She knew the passion he had. Her dreams hadn't been simply fabrications. The fantasy lover she fell for was alive! He was real. Moreover, she wanted him as much as he wanted her.

Hurry Mouse. I miss you already.

Winter was real, and he came for her. She shouldn't be so flustered. He was more handsome with a face. His mind was even sexy. He was like she was. She wasn't alone. She slowed her headlong flight and came to an abrupt stop.

He was... Like she was... He had been inside her mind! That made her pause and think as the door closed on her room and she pulled her blouse off over her head rushing toward the closet.

She found a cute dress and sandals and brushed out her hair. She was rushing back to him as fast as possible. Her mind was in a whirl.

He knew the men who'd hurt her. Winter had gone after them and brought them to Ash. She reached out and brushed his mind as she hurried back to the car. Why had she not tried that before?

Her mind found his mind instantly. She brushed against an edge like polished granite. Misty pulled her awareness back. He had shields! Winter was like her, but far more knowledgeable and powerful.

Come on Beautiful. I'll explain it.

Winter had a lot of explaining to do. Misty had a million questions. He might be dangerous, but he was also the one person in the world who might have the answers to all of her questions. She almost ran back to the driveway.

When she got to the car, he was waiting by the door to help her in. When she had the seat belt buckled, he closed the door and skirted the hood before sliding into the driver's seat. They eased out of the driveway and sped away. She felt like a teenager on a first date with butterflies in her stomach.

She watched him drive for a moment. The muscles in his arm flexed as he shifted gears making her all hot and bothered. Memories of what he'd done to her with those fingers made her blush.

She looked away. Misty needed to focus on what he should be explaining, not on how hot his arm muscles made her.

When she looked at his face, the hint of a smirk played around his lips. He knew she was watching him, and he liked it. She reached for his mind again, but her thoughts met polished granite once more.

"Mouse, it's not what you think. I'm not hiding from you. I'm keeping you safe. I'm nearly five centuries old. The junk in my head isn't all rated PG. I need you. Scaring you away isn't what I want." Winter explained as they drove toward Tyler.

"You have shields. You're like me." She stated it, but he seemed to understand where she was headed with it and tried to help her understand.

"Yes. We are Ri altoir aigne. Rulers of the Mind. I have been one for far longer than you. Building shields was necessary. Thoughts and emotions could get me killed if everyone could read them. I worked with the Dungeon Master and served as a spy long ago. Getting caught meant torture. Holding onto my mind was imperative. I will teach you after I claim you."