11 Winter

Jingles showed him into a meeting when he arrived. The magic was leading him straight to his Ri tuaithe. He could feel in the magic that his underking must be close. That had him excited and his dragon magic seemed to be working far too well as he instantly saw the auras of all those he encountered as he walked through the log cabin-style castle's great room.

Winter dropped to one knee upon entering the conference room when he saw the Queen of Dragons. He hadn't expected to see a walking myth. She smiled, and he bowed his head before a born dragon. They existed. He was stunned. Draoithe was far more than he'd expected.

"I take it you're a red dragon? Who are you here for?" Winter looked up and realized the man speaking to him was the Dire Wolf King. He faced Luke Mendez, the Ri ruirech of Draoithe because that was easier than trying to figure out how to behave before the Queen of dragons.

"Yes, sir. I'm Winter MacLyon, please call me Flash."

He looked around at the others in the room and saw the archangel with the aura of an underking of the realm with Flash's colors swirling around him. The man's identity appeared in his aura and Flash knew his Ri tuaithe.

"I've come because the magic has identified Palladin Malakhim as Ri tuaithe to Javier MacGuire. I would serve my king." Flash made his desire to serve clear. The Dire Wolf King seemed irritated and was ignoring his answer even as he acknowledged that Winter had responded.

"Why do you kneel?" Luke Mendez demanded.

"Her majesty is here," Flash spoke with reverence.

He had no idea how he was supposed to behave, but kneeling seemed highly appropriate. White Dragons were the legendary pattern after which all resurrected dragons were crafted. He could see the crown on her head in her aura. There was no question as to who she was.

"Explain this," Luke demanded, obviously irritated by something. Thankfully, Ash answered him because Winter had no idea what to say nor even where that story should begin. What he wanted was for the Dire Wolf King to accept his oath so he could get on with his mission to protect his Valkyrie.

"My king, all of the male dragons are necromantic work patterned after a true dragon, the white dragon. Soleil is known to us as the Queen of Dragons. She was born a dragon shifter. She breathes the white flame. She is pure, clean, a born first-order immortal. Not the filth and death of black, grey, and red dragons. She isn't a servant, but rather she is true royalty, a queen." Ash explained with the same reverential tone of voice that Winter felt. Even the Lord of Dragons was in awe.

Flash was happy to see other dragons he knew. Blaze had been right. Draoithe was different and it felt good. If the old dungeon master was right about Winter being able to serve as the dragon Flash, life would get much better than he could have imagined. He need only seek out his Mouse once he got past the fealty oath.

"I have many sisters. Technically, I'm a princess, not a queen as I have no Valkyrie," Soleil noted.

"There is more than one?" Char spoke from behind Ash. The grey dragon's voice held just as much reverence as it did confusion. The idea that there were many white dragons did not fit with the legends.

"Men can be Valkyries?" Ash asked, just as lost. Flash just followed the crazy conversation from one face to another still kneeling. He did enjoy a good story and it seemed he'd walked into an ongoing stage drama except that he was somehow a part of the play.

"Oh yes. There are hundreds of dragons. Those of us who have claimed a mate, grant them our power, and they're male. We all have an Archangel protector like Palladin, too." Soleil laughed as she nodded at his underking. That was odd. It seemed his underking owed allegiance to the white dragon.

"It isn't what we expected," Smoke told her. The third grey dragon in the room had a seriously perplexed look on his face.

Apparently, some of the myths weren't true. Flash was still lost as to how he was supposed to behave. Princess or queen, Soleil was a born white dragon. That made her dragon royalty and none of the others had any idea what proper etiquette should be either, so he remained on one knee.

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint boys, but I'm not a queen. You may all stop kneeling. It was slightly amusing at first, but it got old already," Soleil told them all.

Still, Flash remained on his knee. He needed something more than simply to honor a white dragon's royalty. She had been a surprise and not at all what he had come for. Misty was near. He could feel her mind. He hadn't lost sight of his original goal. Not even a white dragon could stop him from getting to his treasure.

"I suppose you'd like me to finish your magic?" Luke asked, sighing a bit exasperated for some reason. Winter still wasn't sure why the man seemed so irritated.

He nodded and presented his sword. Palladin knelt along with Soleil. They too wanted to swear fealty? That felt odd. Never had he expected to swear next to his underking and a white dragon princess. Blaze telling him about dragons being treated as equals was no lie.

Luke shrugged, performed the obligatory service, and named Flash a defender of the realm. He then accepted the oaths of an archangel and a white dragon. Winter McLyons could feel the magic swarm back to life more powerful than he could ever remember being.

He wore no collar. He was a free dragon and he knew the directive. Police by the old laws with deference to the Dire Wolf King in matters involving the denizens of Draoithe. The magic once again revealed the truth behind the dungeon master's words.

"I propose that we adjourn this meeting. Everyone meets in the big conference room for twilight dinner. We can introduce you to the other denizens of Draoithe," Luke noted.

Flash rose and put his sword away. Dinner could wait. He needed to see justice done for Misty first. He'd missed most of the meeting and would need to learn more about an archangel later.

"Jingles?" Luke raised his voice. Jingles was on one knee behind him.

"I'm here, my king. How may I serve?" The dragonsworn asked instantly and Flash smiled. It was good to see servants acting like servants. An immortal kingdom seemed a far better concept than the old mortal ones had been.

"Show our friends to rooms so they can freshen up and relax a bit before dinner," Luke said.

They moved to follow the servant out to the great room. He pointed out the building he wanted them to walk to, apologized that he couldn't withstand the sun, but promised to meet them inside before dashing off.

Palladin and Soleil followed the procession out into the last light of the afternoon and walked across the driveway. Flash walked behind them intending to detour back to the garage.

People were coming and going. Some stopped to kneel when Soleil walked by. She shrugged, and they continued into the university building. Then he spotted Misty among the onlookers. He motioned for her to follow him.

Whether the magic pulled her toward him or his mind drew her, he wasn't sure. He was supremely happy that she followed. His mouse was curious.

She was beyond beautiful. He had a bit more business to attend to before he could reveal the truth about himself to her. Still, he could feel the magnetic pull she had on him. His dragon was fully awake and recognized its mate. Winter McLyon wanted Misty Todofer for himself. Flash fully intended to claim a Mouse as his greatest treasure.

When he stepped into the garage, Blaze was climbing out of the van and his prisoners were kneeling on the concrete in front of an irritated Lord of Dragons. Smoke and Char were there with him discussing something about Flame and the white dragon.

The dungeon master looked the way Flash remembered, only his aura was much larger. He hadn't lied about having claimed his Valkyrie. Dark magic and overwhelming power echoed around the old grey dragon as he stepped down onto the floor of the garage.

When Misty stepped into the dim light of the garage, his heart soared. She had followed him rather than turn and flee. It wasn't going to be easy, but just knowing his Mouse was safe and with him made him feel like the most powerful man in the dream. Soon he might just be exactly that, but he would give it all to her if she would only agree to be his Valkyrie.