7 Winter

A Conversation with the Dark Past

"Flash, I received your message, my old friend. I was surprised and pleased that you reached out to me. I've information on eight of the names you asked about, but I need to know... what's going on?"

Blaze's voice, stoic, calm, edged in dark energy, came through the phone. The dungeon master was the same dragon Flash had known and worked closely with long ago.

It felt right to be speaking with Blaze again even if it had once been the last thing he wanted to do. He wasn't phased by the dark need in Flash's email. He also wasn't willing to give away anything else unless he was apprised of the situation.

"I found her, Blaze. Her name is Misty Todofer, the treasure above all treasure. She's Ri altoir aigne. Her mind sought mine and pulled me in. She was hurt. I need to avenge her. My soul aches for her. I can't allow what happened to her to remain unchecked. Those responsible must not be allowed to get away with it. Will you help me find them? I wish to make them pay. I will make it clean."

He feared Blaze would deny him if he left witnesses. He was good. Blaze knew who he was. The former dungeon master knew he could make it clean.

Immortals tried to keep knowledge of magic away from the people in the Domhain. Humans were dangerous if only because they vastly outnumbered immortals and their technology evolved incredibly fast. Staying hidden was better. Science had replaced magic.

Humans often didn't even recognize it when they were gifted. Few sought magic. They preferred to believe it was part of the myths and legends of the past.

"One you listed is dead. Burned out of existence by Kendall Tarkington for crimes against his Valkyrie. Seven are dragonsworn servants to Draoithe." Blaze paused.

How did Blaze know that? What was Draoithe? Flash waited for the other dragon.

If Blaze wanted to help, he would. Knowing that one of Misty's enemies was already dead was good. That Kindling had found his mate made Winter smile. He was still confused though.

"The Ri ruirech has been raised, Flash. I serve as a free dragon knight. The magic of the prophecy was real. My king fights against the evil that you seek vengeance against." Blaze's words left Winter stunned.

"Come again? There's a new Ri ruirech?" Winter asked. Blaze chuckled.

"There's a lot you need to know. The other four men you noted in the email weren't known to us. Thank you for the information. Fox, one of the Ruiri, is working on tracing them for you as we speak. Ash is aware of the situation."

Hope bloomed for speedy vengeance. Perhaps he would be able to find Misty sooner rather than later. That the Lord of dragons was with the dungeon master wasn't surprising. The grey dragons of Leinster had always been tight with each other.

His friend paused for a long moment. Winter allowed the silence to stretch again.

"Flash, Misty Todofer has sanctuary here in Draoithe. As soon as I locate their positions, you have permission to police by the old laws. Your Valkyrie was claimed as a friend by a Ri tuaithe of the realm." Holy shit, his Mouse was a lot more than he knew. He desperately wanted to know her in reality. Blaze's next words stopped his runaway thoughts about his Valkyrie.

"The Dire Wolf King would like to meet you. Ash will confess any prisoners that you take if you bring them in." Blaze gave Flash the help he'd requested. He also gave him a different hope for the future.

Flash was smiling into the empty hotel room. It was better than he'd ever imagined. Misty was where Blaze was. She was safe. He needn't worry about her safety. She had a sanctuary at Draoithe. There was magic in that word, sanctuary.