"I didn't know where you were" I said to him, walking next to him with my stiff form. He seemed to be instantly diving into his work, lifting his pen and leaning down to study one of the paper stacks.

I frowned at him, to the way he simply ignored me. My eyes shifted to the papers, dozens of different numbers and letters filling them, "What are you doing?"

I asked as he didn't respond, moving my hands down to his chair's armrest. Leonel drew in a long breath, his hard expression not even flinching, "I'm being serious, Ez."

His tone was really harsh, expecting me to only be silent and skip elsewhere. But I didn't understand why he was acting like that. It kind of hurt, even more so as yesterday had been so terrible for each one of us; to each and every one of us in this Kingdom. At the same time I tried to put myself into his position, thinking of what had gotten him so tight.

"Have you heard of more? What happened yesterday– are we safe? What are you going to do abo–?" I sputtered out, trying to control my annoyance and angriness. Though it didn't seem to be the same to the other, his fist being slammed to the table.

"Ezekiel!" He shouted, closing his eyes for a moment. I drew in a bit, surprised by his sudden yell; sudden aggression. His shoulders were as tense as a brick wall, my breathing turning irregular as I tried to comprehend his acts towards me, "Get out."

He mumbled, lifting his fingers to rub his temples.

The command felt like a slash to my heart, the frown on my face shifting to nothing but blankness. I just didn't understand; and being angry about his departure felt even sillier at this point.

I had just wanted to maybe get on his lap, get a few kisses before going for breakfast. That would've been enough for me, I just wanted to know how he was feeling and where we were. I had needed that reassurance, and I had wanted to know more of the bombing; if he had information about it.

But this definitely hadn't been what I had expected.

"I just asked." I turned defensive, the other throwing his pen to the table before straightening his back.

The black eyes flicked to me, those very warning. It was as if he would be exploding in a few seconds, something behind them seeming off.

This was the Alpha Diétrich, this wasn't Leonel.

My eyes narrowed towards him, my other hand lowering down to the table so I could keep my posture, "What's wrong?"

I saw how his jaws clenched, his hands trembling in his lap. My head tilted to the side as I tried to read him and his behavior towards me. It was so different from yesterday– and something had to have happened. Either it was because of me or something else, I wanted to know.

It wasn't really typical for him to act like this, my own irritation cooling down.

"Leonel?" I repeated as he didn't answer, my other hand lowering down to his hair. It was as if I would've flicked a light switch, his whole demeanor breaking down.

I saw the tears in his eyes, swimming there but never coming overboard. The despair, the stress; it was suffocating him.

"What's wrong?" I asked gentler, pulling him quickly into my embrace. I had a frown switched back to my face in a second, worry filling me. His hands were circled around me, the man's head pressed against my chest.

He shook in my embrace, doing everything he could to not cry. I could feel it; our bond sending me tons of emotions. The concern and worry grew in me so much that my heart nearly beat itself out of my chest, my hold on him tightening, "The explosion—"

He started with a wavering voice, his baritone trembling, "Two children died, two. . . A-And five warriors beside all the slaves."

He sniffed into my white T-shirt, my chin lowering down to his hair. My eyes were brimming with tears as I listened to his breakdown, the other grabbing me desperately, "And that's not all."

He whispered, hugging me as close as he could, "It's a war now, it's a fucking war. . ."

His explanation was very messy and incoherent, but I was certain that that was the best he could even do now. And I didn't really know how to make him feel better either, as I was thrown into a similar state as him in a mere second.

I knew that the bombing wouldn't be forgotten, but it still hit me in the face. Two innocent children, five brave warriors. And all for what? For a war, and even more casualties?

"Shh" I hushed into his hair, closing my eyes as I stroked his back, "Everything's going to be okay."

Leonel shook his head to me, the curls tickling my cheeks, "It's not— we would have to leave in two weeks. . ."

My eyebrows were knitted together, my mate's arms nearly crushing me, "Leonel, sweetie. Calm down, and let's talk after a moment, okay?"

I couldn't understand anything he was saying, and I wanted to talk about it when he would've calmed down. His well-being was my first priority, no matter the situation. And right now I could feel how he was drowning into stress and overthinking, and I knew that he needed to get his thoughts elsewhere for a moment.

He needed someone to share his burden with.

I slowly lowered down to his lap, the man eagerly pulling me to his embrace. He nearly squeezed my organs out because of how tight his grip was, my hands going down to lift his head up.

"We are in this together." I whispered as I got his face directed to me, that morphed into pain and uncertainty. My lips pecked his softly, the other letting out a low exhale, "We will survive."

Leonel opened his eyes, watching me with millions of thoughts flashing through them. It seemed like he wanted to say something, but then simply relaxed his muscles with a sigh, "I know."

I smiled to him faintly, pecking his lips again, "Don't try to push me away, just talk to me."

I slithered my hands into his hair, affectionately massaging him. He let his forehead drop against mine, closing his eyes again, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I understand. And I was quite rude too" I moved his short curls behind his ears, the other letting out an unamused chuckle.

"Why don't you tell me what are you doing now, hmh?" I asked him, kissing his nose. My legs wrapped around his waist, my body against his.

Leonel sighed, for a moment just thinking. "I had today morning a meeting, and we decided to raid the Kell's warehouse in few weeks" he finally said, quietly talking and breathing evenly.

"If it succeeds, I think we will get to an agreement with Tristan— and maybe even put the war behind before it even starts." Leonel continued, my eyes studying his frowning face.

"What's the worst case scenario?" I asked, rubbing my fingers through his hair.

Leonel let out a dry laugh, opening his intimidating eyes to meet mine, "That we die trying."

I thought about his words for a second, a smile forming to my face, "Let's bring it home, then."

Leonel stared at me in the eyes, deep in his own mind.

"But I want him to pay."

He stated, the cold tone making me shiver as he proceeded, "That bastard deserves everything that is about to come for him."

I lifted my eyebrows ever so slightly, not really surprised by his plan but rather concerned.

"Remember that he doesn't deserve it enough for you to die trying."

I whispered, dozens of emotions circling in my eyes. If we were to attack the warehouse, if we were to go to war, or if we were to go to a battle. . . I just didn't want to see him get hurt.

"I remember, pup."