27. Monte Alban Mezcal

Começar do início

Toni sighed. "I meant the precinct. Why are you here." He waved his hand to indicate the room.

"I missed you. I was hoping you would be coming up to Denver soon, considering they have been hounding you to take that open position." He said.

Jaiden looked up and caught Toni's eye. "You haven't answered them yet?" He asked, his voice was slightly on edge.

They have joked about it a couple of times, regurgitating the list to have him stay in New Mexico, but it never quite hit him that Toni had not replied to them. He had hoped that his mind was made up and didn't realize it was still up in the air for him.

He felt his stomach lurch, thinking of Toni leaving when they were getting close. Was he wasting his time? Or had he hesitated too much that Toni had his eyes on a way out? Did his lack of commitment make Toni want to have an escape plan?

What if he wasn't enough to make him stay?

The self-doubt started to sink its claws into him, and he began to regret his passiveness. He should have been more assertive like this bastard was. He should have taken the initiative more often.

While lost in his gnawing thoughts, the man gave Jaiden an annoyed look. "Who are you?"

Toni looked between them with a bit of panic settling in his eyes. "My partner, Jaiden Ryder."

The man scoffed. "Please, he looks like a child. There's no way he's a detective."

Jaiden continued to ignore him, so Toni answered in his stead. "He's younger than me, which only emphasizes his capabilities as a detective. He's an asset and a good partner to have."

The man gave a condescending laugh. "Toni, I know how you like your partners. How about you team up with me on this case, and we'll solve it faster."

That comment was enough to pull Jaiden out of his thoughts, but he didn't have the energy to have a dick measuring contest. He rubbed the bridge of his nose, already regretting engaging in this man's theatrics. "I'm going for a smoke."

He said and tossed the folder on the desk and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his drawer.

The man smirked at Jaiden. "Not even going to fight me on this one?"

Jaiden sighed. "I don't even know who the fuck you are. Why waste my time?"

He stood up and held out his hand. It looked far too delicate to be a cop. He seemed to be a desk man. "Xavier Lopez. I'm Toni's partner."

Toni stood up. "Ex-partner."

Jaiden frowned and looked at the hand but didn't shake it. "Funny. You claim you can solve this faster than me, but you're a shit detective."

Xavier dropped his hand, and his pretty face turned into a scowl. "What the hell?"

"If you knew anything about me, then you're purposely riling me up, which is something I wouldn't recommend. That's a fight you cannot win. If you didn't know who I was, you're talking a lot of shit in unknown territory. Either way, you're proving my point. Do us all a favor, and stand down. You're out of your jurisdiction and your element." Jaiden said quietly.

Xavier's face contorted in anger. "Jaiden Ryder. I know who you are. The last partner you had died on your watch."

Jaiden felt a wave of rage wash over him.

However, before Jaiden could react to Xavier's crass words, Toni has slammed him against the wall by the collar. Xavier looked at him with wide eyes and pure shock.

"What the fuck, Xavier?" Toni roared. No one bothered to stop them because they were all reeling from his words.

Xavier used to work In Albuquerque with them, and they had liked him. He was friendly toward everyone, so they never expected him to say something like this.