6. Chamomile Tea

I felt like my last update was a little late, and I always feel bad if you are a scene skipper because you don't get a full chapter - so here's a second release.  

****

Jaiden took a bite from the breakfast and moaned happily. Toni was grinning, which caused him to flush.

Jaiden coughed. "You have a beautiful home. Did you recently move in?" He asked, noticing the unpacked boxes.

Toni sighed. "I lived out of state for a while but came back a couple of months ago. I'm just hesitant with unpacking."

"Hesitant?"

"I was offered a permanent position in the city I worked in before. It's a good job, but it's hard to officially leave home. I haven't given my decision yet, but I have some compelling arguments to remain here." He smirked a little as he looked at Jaiden.

Jaiden bit his lip a little. He hated the conflicting feelings he had. One part of him told him to keep a distance, while the other was in knots with the thought of Toni leaving. He just found him, but now he had to prepare to say goodbye.

Jaiden forced a smile, pushing back the turmoil inside of him. "Well, it doesn't matter where you go because there is the undeniable fact that the chile is better here."

Toni laughed. "Very true."

"The history here is rich too." Jaiden said while tapping the fork on his lips.

Toni nodded, holding back a grin. "True again."

"Is your family here.  Are you close to them?" Jaiden asked.

"Sí. La familia lo es todo." Toni responded with a smile. "Isn't yours?"

Family is everything.... Jaiden shuffled in his chair a little and looked off to the side. "My family situation could be better."

Toni reached out and ran his fingers up and down his forearm. "I'm sorry, Jaiden. I shouldn't have assumed."

Jaiden sighed. "It really isn't too serious. We're just distant emotionally and, thankfully, physically." He waved his hand seemingly trying to wave past the depressing atmosphere. "Anyway, let's get back to the topic on hand."

Toni laughed. "Well, I have an ex up there that I wouldn't want to associate with."

Jaiden felt himself run cold for a moment. Was it jealousy? He coughed a little and looked away from Toni. "No one wants that. You may end up in their bed after a drunken night."

"True, but sometimes that can lead to good things." Toni leaned over and gave Jaiden a heart-stopping smile. "But, in my opinion, there is also a pretty convincing reason sitting in front of me."

Jaiden looked down at his plate and ran his hand through his hair and he felt his insecurities creep up.

"Is a one-night stand really deserving to be put on the list?"

Toni winced a little and leaned back in his chair with his arms folded. "Is that this was to you? Just a one-night stand?"

Jaiden snapped his head up and looked at Toni in shock. His face was stern, but Jaiden could see a flicker of hurt in his eyes. 

"I don't know what this is for you." Jaiden said quietly.  He was so caught up on Toni the night before that he didn't think about setting up boundaries and expectations.  They both went into this blind.

"Perhaps I came off too fast and too strong, but I'm not some cabron who just fucks around." There was a small bite to Toni's words.

Jaiden would normally get defensive in these situations. Roll with the argument. Say insensitive things and leave. It was an easy way to cut off ties. But something about Toni made him hesitate.