Chapter 16

CW: mentions of attempted murder

・❥・

Dream.

Your blood ran cold, and even the warmth of your mug couldn't stop it from freezing to ice. Your mouth was dry, and you were suddenly very aware of your own heartbeat. Dream was in the prison. He couldn't do anything.

"What--what was the dream of?" you asked, struggling to force words out.

Fundy shrugged. "Our wedding day."

"But ... what happened?"

His hands gripped the mug even tighter, his knuckles white. "I didn't know what he was going to do. I mean, all the things that got him into the prison."

"What happened in the dream?" you persisted.

"He tried to kill me."

Your face paled. This wasn't good. Dream shouldn't have been able to do anything from the prison but--Fundy didn't normally sleepwalk. Could he have been possessed? Or something of the sort, because it couldn't have been just chance, that he had been up there in the middle of the night.

"Okay, how--is this the first time you've had the dream?"

Fundy shook his head. "I kept--well, I kept waking myself up, on accident. I was sleepwalking all the other times too."

Not good, not good, not good. Fundy could've only been kept alive for this long, because of sheer luck. What if you hadn't been there, what if he hadn't woken up all the other times? What could've happened then? You shook your head, clearing your mind. "You should've told us earlier."

Fundy bit his lip, and looked to the side.

"Whatever. I'm going to get Charlie to keep an eye on you from now on--he can wake you up if you start sleepwalking again. I'll talk to Quackity too--"

"No!" Fundy cut in, "Please don't talk to Quackity!"

You blinked. You had thought Fundy liked Quackity. "What? Why?"

"Well, I just don't want to worry him, that's all. You're already doing so much for me, I don't want to be a bother."

"Fundy, you're not a bother unless you try to be. And even then, I doubt you could. Everyone loves you," you said.

Fundy still didn't look entirely convinced. You sighed. "Fine, we can figure this out on our own."

He flashed you a grateful smile, and nodded. Fundy began to get up, but you paused for a moment. "One last thing," you said slowly, "I hope you don't mind me asking something?"

Fundy nodded.

"What's your relationship with Wilbur?" you asked.

His tail twitched, and Fundy looked as if he was vacillating between two options. Finally, he said, "He's my dad."

And before you could say anything else, Fundy darted into the elevator, jamming his hand on the button to close the doors. As you watched, the gleaming metal sheets slid shut, and the elevator started its descent.

Wilbur was Fundy's dad.

It did make a little sense. They'd both originally been in L'manberg, hadn't they?

Well, it was news to you. Draining the last of your hot chocolate, you stood up, beginning to wash the cups in the sink. He'd given you a lot to think about.

・❥・