Chapter 39 ~ Before the Dawn (M)

Start from the beginning

Faeriel was spared any further worry on the matter as Radagast entered the living area. "Fear not, you can talk freely here. We have put wards up, and you can trust each other. Oh! This is so exciting! I'll get tea." He bustled off, leaving Faeriel staring in amazement. She had never been able to confide her secret in anyone before.

"Oh, ah, well, t-to answer your question," she said to Faelas shyly. "Yes. Rada only found me after I had grown many years. I was raised by Ardalings of fur and feather until then.'' Faeriel replied, ''What about you?''

''I only started hearing their voices when I met you," Faelas explained.

''Oh... So that is why you seemed so shocked at first, suddenly tuning in to so many beings' feelings at once.''

''And not just feelings, I sensed my perception shoot though roots and branches, through the underwoven fabric of Arda itself," Faelas recalled. He was happy this discussion seemed to be distracting Faeriel from her woes.

''Ah, yes," Faeriel smiled at him. "I felt something extraordinary too... an even deeper connection with Arda that began at that moment. But I sensed it was more potent for you. Perhaps from not experiencing them before. I wonder why we have these powers..."

"I think I might know why, Faeriel." Faelas smiled. Then he laughed. "Our parents had a funny way of naming us! I'm sure we were brought here to learn about this..."

"Our parents?" Faeriel gasped.

"The ninth of March. Our birthday."

Faeriel gaped. My parents mentioned another...

"I did some research... We are Fae. Fae Changelings, to be exact. Your necklace," he nodded toward it, pulling his own from the higher neckline of his tunic to show her. "It matches mine."

Faeriel leaned forward, peering with wide eyes, her hand coming up to clutch her pendant. "Oh my! W-wherever did you get it?"

"At the oaken cottage, in the forest, I think not far from here..."

"So did I!" A splash of excitement fizzed in her chest. But then the memories hit. Legolas holding her as she slept, comforting her after her nightmare, and those first days feeling the glowing warmth and tingly pleasures he wrought.

Faelas frowned, seeing her melancholy settle back around her like a cloud, and trying to think of something to distract her with again. He settled on the book, and what he had read about the Fae, though decided not to mention anything about Legolas reading it first.

"The book said that the Fae Changelings are kin to elves. They protect Arda, with powers of communicating and nurturing peace. Something about the elements, drawing power from them... And healing! I hope I can do that... If you don't mind my asking... Can you?"

Faeriel smiled slightly at his enthusiasm. "Yes."

''Well, if I can communicate in thought speech with Ardalings, perhaps I can also do that... But... I do wonder why it took me so long to realize my powers...''

Radagast twittered in, ''Faelas my dear fae, I do say, I am sorry. I did not like it one bit, but you see, it was for your safety.''

Faelas turned to regard the brown wizard. Rada appeared crestfallen.

Gandalf appeared in the sitting area. "As you have seen, Faelas, evil foes are likely to covet your Changeling essence. One such foe, tragically, is the reason you were orphaned to begin with," he revealed solemnly.

Faelas gazed glumly at the ground and Faeriel held Rusco to her heart, closing her eyes.

Radagast knelt before them, one hand on Faelas' and the other on Faeriel's. ''You both have suffered greatly, being removed from your nature, and each other. But we are here now to right the wrongs of the past and make up for lost time.'' He smiled at the twins, who looked back into his kind eyes, then to each other and half-smiled. ''Come, I've prepared your favorite for dinner Faeriel. We must gather our strength for the coming days.''