44. Tequila Komos [End]

Start from the beginning

Jaiden shuddered from the verbal ass-beating he would have experienced if they ran off. He handed Carlos back to Nate and kissed the baby's forehead.

He pulled four shot glasses and filled them.

He handed them out, including one for Travis. "Tequila? Really?"

"You need it more than us." Toni reassured him with a smile.

Travis groaned and picked up the shot glass. He hissed as he swallowed the alcohol. "God, that burns."

Toni laughed heartily. "Not a tequila man?"

Travis frowned. "More of a martini man."

Jaiden took Toni's hand in his. "Well, I suppose it's time to get fucking married." He said with a chuckle.

They walked out of the house and faced the large open pasture that overlooked the Sandias. There were tables set up for everyone, and sunflowers were everywhere. He never discussed flowers with Toni, but it seemed like Toni took matters into his own hands and ensured that he was surrounded by the sun that Jaiden loved.

Jaiden's breath was caught in his throat as he took in the scene.

Nearly two hundred people had come to celebrate them; half of the precinct from Albuquerque and Las Cruces were there, and everyone from the Trujillo and Alvarez family.

Although Jaiden didn't share a drop of blood with anyone here, this was his family. This was home.

Valeria linked her arm with Jaiden's while Gloria did the same to Toni, ready to lead them down to the reverend. The sky was turning orange with hues of pink as they walked down the aisle.

Jaiden kissed Valeria's cheek. She was already crying, and it was near impossible for Jaiden not to cry with her. "Gracias, mamá. For everything, gracias."

"I'm so proud of you. Carlos would be too." She gently cupped his cheek. "The day I married Carlos, he promised me that the sunrise would gift us with happy days, and the sunset would leave us with peaceful nights. I'm leaving that promise with you, mijo. Keep your eyes open, and embrace the beautiful moments to come with the one you love."

Jaiden smiled warmly, and his eyes glistened with the tears he was holding back. "Sí, mamá. I will."

He bent down, and she placed a small kiss on his forehead.

She and Gloria walked back to their seats. Antonio kissed Gloria while Valeria looked fondly at the empty seat next to her. Carlos' old cowboy hat hung from the back of the chair, and an unopened beer bottle sat in front of it. He was still with them on this day.

Jaiden and Toni exchanged their vows under the setting sun. The picturesque skies illuminated the sunflowers that surrounded them. And when he said, "I do", Jaiden realized that he had everything he never knew he needed right beside him.

The nightmares that used to plague him had started to recede. In turn, they have become quiet dreams of him and Carlos sharing a beer under the rising sun. He no longer required Carlos' pep talks or direction, but he enjoyed the company even if it wasn't real.

To put it simply, Jaiden was happy. His husband was perfect, and finally, he was no longer running away. He could embrace the future with Toni.

Their ceremony was short, sweet, and simple. The area was quickly turned over for the reception. Solar lights and lamps brightened the area, along with large bonfires. Hugh was a renowned music producer but took on the role of DJ for the night. He happily worked with the mariachi that Gloria and Antonio brought along. It wasn't a fiesta without them.