CHAPTER 10

A/N: Sorry for the shorter chapter, I just don't have tons of motivation rn. <3

*Tony*

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. He used the internet as an escape hatch," Bruce said while I stared at the Iron Guard body with contempt. It was Ultron's fault. He choose violence, and I tried to choose peace. And where did peace got me?

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other," Natasha said, leaning against the data base. It was the vision's fault. Not mine. I tried. I tried.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodes suggested, turning everyone's minds down the wrong path.

"Nuclear codes," Percy breathed, shaking his head. 

"Nuclear codes," Hills agreed from the corner. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can," Maria continued, standing up and pacing.

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead," Natasha thought aloud.

"He didn't say 'dead'. he said 'extinct'," Steve corrected. 

"Nice job officer fuck-face you really connected the dots on that one," I muttered, earning an inappropriately timed snort from Percy, and a snicker from Clint. I swore I heard Steve mutter language.

"He also said he killed someone," Clint said, returning to the matters at hand.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building," Percy said, his face written in confusion.

"Yes there was," I painful tapped my table to my hologram, exposing the broken J.A.R.V.I.S. to everyone. I need a drink, a shot, something to take my mind off this.

"What?" Bruce mumbled, looking at me with shock and hurt. "This is insane."

"J.A.R.V.I.S. is the first line of defense," Steve said, his head bowed. "He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

"No. Ultron could've assimilated J.A.R.V.I.S.," Bruce started, his mind putting ammo into a shotgun. Don't pull the trigger Banner. Don't get my hopes up. "This isn't strategy. This is . . . rage," Bruce finished, shaking his head. It was faulty ammo. Thank god.

Thor's footsteps rang through the room, bouncing off the multileveled floors and high ceiling. He then did something I most certainly didn't expect. He grabbed me by the neck from behind and twisted me around. 

"Hey, hey Thor please chill the Hades out and place Tony down. He's fragile," Percy said, coming up to the god, and making the universal calm/put down move.

"It's going around," Clint said, looking on at me.

"Use your words buddy," I said, trying not to get pummeled. By Thor no less.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor threatened, smiling a bit. Of course, this had to be his stomping ground.

"Thor. The Legionnaire," Steve reminded him. He reluctantly heaved me down (and I mean he didn't drop but he wasn't careful). He was wearing his mother's drapes again, with the tacky under armor to prove it.

"Trail went cold about 100 miles out, but it's headed north. And the scepter," Thor addressed everyone, or so I assumed. "Now we have to retrieve it, again."

"Genie's outta that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron," Nat said, nodding to the dissassembled J.A.R.V.I.S.

"I don't understand. You built this program," Helen said, turning all eyes to me, once again. "Why is it trying to kill us?" That's a question only you haven't figured out Cho, I thought. I started to chuckle a bit, making everyone just a bit more concerned.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked, his annoyance conveyed by his voice.

"No," I responded. "It's probably not, right?" I continued, looking at everyone. "This is very terrible. Is it so . . ." I chuckled again. "Is it so . . . It is. It's so terrible."

"This could've been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand," Thor tried to be the voice of reason for once.

"No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this," I said, looking up at his eyes. They just don't understand the importance of the protection it will bring. If it needs to kill me to bring it, then so be it.

"Tony, this might not be the time," Bruce warned, trying to stop Thor from pummeling me.

"Really? That's it? You just roll over, show your belly every time someone snarls?" I was done with politeness tonight. I'd spent it all at the party.

"Only when I've created a murder bot," Bruce responded, standing his ground.

"We didn't. We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?" I felt my voice rising.

"Well, you did something right. And you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different from S.H.I.E.L.D.," Percy spoke up. Damn, the new guy too?

"Fuck off new guy," I grumbled. "Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?"

"No, it's never come up," Rhodes dryly replied.

"Saved New York?"

"Never heard that."

"Recall that? A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing 300 hundred feet below it," this made everyone silent. "We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the livelong day, but that up there, that's . . . That's the endgame. How were you guys planning on beating them?" I finished.

"Together," Rodgers said. God sometimes I wish I could throttle that guy. 

I stalked a bit closer. "We'll lose."

"Then we'll do that together too," Percy said. Steve and I turned to look at the teen, the one who'd already been through two wars, already gone through hell, and was already done with his life.

"Thor's right. Ultron's calling us out And I'd like to find him before he's ready for us," Nat said, cracking her neck. I grimaced at the noise. "The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller."