Soul

Day Twenty-Eight 

48 hours. That was the only thing ricocheting through Josh's brain. The others had snuck out early in the morning leaving Luanne to sleep. The boys all patted him on the shoulder with the girls passing him with sad smiles. They all knew he was holding himself together by scraps of string. Josh was ripping at the seams watching her sleep in his lap. 

"I don't want to leave you. It is going to be the hardest thing I have ever done. I am so sorry Luanne Faye." Josh knew she couldn't hear him. Perhaps he was saying it to make himself feel better. To know that he got to say sorry at least once. 

Rolling over in his lap Josh took in her gentle features. The fact that she would only sleep like this with him two more times was overwhelming. Her hair was tangled in his lap and he lightly ran his fingers through the knots. Her eyes opening paused his movements entirely. Those dauntingly beautiful eyes fixating on him made his blood run cold. 

"Good morning Joshua Michael." Luanne's accent was thicker when she woke up making him grin. "Good morning Luanne Faye," Josh whispered leaning forward to kiss her. 

"Where did everyone go?" Luanne mumbled against his lips. "Swimming." Josh spoke kissing her again before she jumped up getting her bathing suit on faster than anyone he had ever seen. 

Mickey and Emmie watched from already inside the pool as Luanne and Josh finally came down. They were giggling to each other over things the others would never understand.

"You and Sam back to being in love?" Mickey asked the girl beside her. She could hear Jake splashing in the water with Danny and Sam behind her. Emmie seemed happy but Mickey couldn't help but be nervous for the days to come. 

"I love him. Truly. I shouldn't though. I never had a lot growing up; never was close to many people before Clarkes. The minute I met him all of that past shit didn't matter. Now I let myself get close to someone who will be gone in 48 hours. I don't know how she does it." Emmie watched Josh and Luanne jump in the pool with a sigh. 

Sam watched from beside Danny leaning on the side of the pool. Emmie wasn't mad at him. He knew that. They talked for a while yesterday and they had a better understanding of the situation they were in. That didn't change the fact that his lungs burned when he glanced at Luanne and his brother. They made it look so easy, just keeping it all in. 

"Don't overthink it. I'm not. Mickey said I am a good guy, so I will take what I can get." Jake held a smile that lit up the room watching Mickey laugh beside Emmie.

Everyone was sitting outside of the pool now except for Luanne and Josh who waded in the water talking about their lives once again. Luanne took in his dimply smile as he recounted childhood memories and his soft laugh gesturing toward the boys. Every time she glanced in his direction her chest grew warmer. Not being able to be beside him soon was one thing. Not hearing Josh's voice and all the thoughts he shared with her would hurt the most. 

Josh wasn't paying attention to anything around him except for Luanne's gentle laugh as he told stories. She actually enjoyed listening to him talk no matter what it was about. He wanted to do something nice for her. Even after all the stuff to do with Fandango he felt the urge to do more. He wanted to pack in an entire lifetime in 30 days. 

"Want to go to dinner? A proper date? We have been with each other for nearly 30 days and haven't gone out." Josh asked suddenly pulling her attention from his eyes. 

"A proper date Joshua? And leave the others to fend for themselves?" Luanne raised her brow turning her head towards the group. 

"Well Emmie and Sam are wanting to spend some alone time and Danny is going shopping, this can force Mickey to deal with Jake. Maybe they will finally talk it out." Josh knew his twin wanted time alone and he had been dying to take Luanne out on a proper night out. "Alright, be ready in an hour." Luanne kissed his temple before dragging herself out of the pool.