Bitten. "Honor" S8 E9

Start from the beginning

I shake my head as tears flood my eyes. "No, no, no, no, no," I cry, still staring at the fresh bite mark. "No. Carl." I look back up at him and see his eye is wet with tears as well. He drops his shirt and I immediately wrap my arms around him, sobbing into his shoulder. "You said it was just a walker," I whisper. 

Carl rubs my back. "It was."

"You knew what I meant." I sniffle and can't control the tears and sobs as I grip Carl tighter, not wanting to let him go. Ever. "You can't do this to me. You can't leave me. Carl, you can't leave me, I love you."

"I love you too. So much." He kisses my forehead. "Please don't tell anyone. Not yet."

I pull away slightly and look up at him. "You didn't tell anyone?"

He shakes his head. "My dad's stressed enough right now and... we can't really do anything about it." Carl cups my cheek and wipes my fallen tear with his thumb. 

"Come on," I say, "let's at least patch it up." We make our way to the bathroom and I help Carl clean it, while he winces in pain and I apologize, and then bandage it up. "You kill me Carl. You really do."

Carl smirks sadly. "And walkers kill me."

"Not the time," I say, about to break down in tears again. "Let's just... I don't know. Let's do something. What do you wanna do? Anything. I just want to be with you."

"Let me change my shirt first." I follow him to his room while he rips off the t-shirt and throws on another one, layering a clean flannel over it. 

I stare at him with my arms folded but I'm completely zoned out thinking about his fate. I don't want to spend the last few days I have with him a complete mess... I want to be happy with him and have his last memories be good ones as opposed to ones where he's watching me cry 24/7. 

"Watcha thinking about?" Carl asks, interrupting my thoughts. 

"Guess," I answer sarcastically. I think it will lighten the mood if we both try to joke with each other. Laughing is better than crying. 

The next few days were painful yet the best I have had in a while. Carl and I literally spent every moment together whether we were eating, working, sleeping, or watching Judith. Carl had the idea of painting our hands and placing our handprints on a piece of wood. Mine and Carl's prints were next to each other and Judith's was a little lower in the center. At some points I even forgot that Carl was about to...

Anyway, we're now in the underground tunnel with Carl positioned as comfortable as possible on a cot. I'm sitting criss-cross next to him squeezing his hand and rubbing circles on it with my thumb. Occasionally I would bring his hand up and place gentle kisses on it and Carl would smile. 

When Rick showed up a few minutes ago, the shock on his face was indescribable. He thought that maybe we could bring Carl to Hilltop... so that's what we decided. 

Rick and I lift up Carl and hold him while we climb out of the tunnel, Michonne trailing behind us. Carl is breathing heavy and looks pale with dark circles around his eyes, and I know his time is running out no matter how much I hoped he would somehow survive. We walk in silence and the four of us realize that Carl can't make it to Hilltop. It's impossible, too far. The amount of energy it would take for someone who is slowly turning...

"In the church," I point out. We drag Carl inside the church and close the door, then carefully lay him down on the floor. I can't really hear what Michonne and Rick are telling him and what he's answering with because my ears are ringing, my heart is pounding, and I am overwhelmed with the amount of grief, hurt, sadness, and guilt I feel.