Fourteen

Camilla

Do you sometimes wonder why we were born? Just to die. The beginning of life and the end of it always a blur and everything that happened between the two events always passed by like it never happened.

Happy moments, sad moments and moments when we didn't know what to feel. We just lived it, while some were lucky to have a great life, love and happiness and every good thing life had to offer them, they took all and wished their death never came and I wondered that when they died, were they angry with God for taking them away from all the things He gave them in the beginning?

And the other people who were not so lucky. Were they angry with God in this life and after death? I fell into this category. I was so angry with life and fate and destiny and God right now.

He took my mum away from me before I even got to know her. But dad always told us that nobody can question God, so I accepted it as my fate. And seventeen years later, He took dad. I felt a part of me was completely shattered and no matter what happened, it can't ever be fixed again.

Cara and I moved on with life, I watched my sister get less interested in everything as everyday passed. When she fell ill, I was angry with God. And she got better, so I rested my faith in Him once again. At least I have someone in my life who cared for me.

But now, even she was far away from me, across the world far. And the one person I was stuck with would stop at nothing to see me crumble.

I didn't know what came over me when I went to Christian and said all of those things to him. And although I meant every word I said because I was angry and hurt. The flash of pain I saw in his eyes made me feel a pang of guilt which quickly disappeared when he said he would never let me go, not until I die.

"Miss Lawal?" He called and I just turned my head in his direction. "We have to act like a happy couple inside. And two, be around me, those people inside can be dangerous and to get to me, they may hurt you. So stay close to me." The words rolled off his tongue easily and I just stared at him, unable to believe my ears. People would do anything to get to me. Or was that how he said it? Whatever.

I looked outside the window and braced myself, now I have to add lies to my life. "Okay." I whispered. He got down from the car and rushed to my side of the car and opened the door for me.

His hand stretched out to take mine and I hesitated a bit before placing my small hand in his larger ones. He closed his hand in mine and pulled me out of the car and towards him. Handing the key to a valet, he led me inside the fancy mansion. It was not as big as the one back at his house but it was fairly large as well.

The decoration was so simple yet elegant and effortlessly classy. It was like it dripped money here. Dim lights and rich people mingled. Expensive alcohol wafted through the air and the cool air conditioning saturated the air.

I felt out of a place here even with the expensive dress I was wearing, a black floors length velvet dress. It was completely backless and had long puffy sleeves. I wore matching platform heels. I wasn't on board with the backless dress but it was the least provocative of all my dresses and I hated him for it. Add that to the list of things he's done wrong.

Christian wore a grey suit and black tie with black Italian loafers. He cleaned up well. His hand was wrapped around my lower back and he absentmindedly traced circles on my back. His rough calloused hand on my bare back made my breath hitch and I tried to control myself. I looked up at him and he was looking straight ahead. I should probably tell him that he should stop but I couldn't. Not that I can't but I didn't want him to. All animosity aside, we could agree he was a good looking man and he has that effect on ladies. I could see a few shamelessly ogling him. Hmph, very much coming from you. I just rolled my eyes at the voice in my head