Chapter 15: Mud and Blood Money (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"Why did you run, huh, do you have something to hide?" He said as he leaned forward.

I sucked in a breath and kept looking at the wall. I was giving a surprising and violent thump to my face that made my cheek sear with pain. I grunted.

"I could easily have you executed, now tell me, what were you planning, hmm?!"

"I'm hungry," I said trying to sound as defeated as possible.

"You're hungry, eh, then starve!" He arose from his seat and commanded for the door to be opened. The guard that accompanied him inside followed him out. The door was slammed shut. I spat out blood, I wanted to just cry, but I was strong and the training I received will help me get through this. Chatter began to reach my ear from the door, so I strained trying to hear what sick plans he would have for me.

It was very quiet but I could still hear. "Tonight! Abbadon is arriving, I will not tolerate anyone fouling up our trade with them, and If you want to get paid, I suggest you get as much information you can from him," the voice of the man who was previously in my room said.

 My mouth and eyes widened in shock. The stories my father told me about the brave and honorable soldiers of Selediano made me oblivious to the fact that our soldiers are human, and can be swayed by promises of wealth and power. My sadness turned to disappointment, and my disappointment into anger.

Minutes passed before the two soldiers entered my cell. One of the men carried a bucket filled with water and a cloth. The soldier with freed hands walked up to me and delivered a fierce backhand. Blood dripped from my nose as I began to see double. "Tell us where the girl that accompanied you is!" The soldier commanded.

I wanted to tell them something so I would be spared from any violent attacks but, I had nothing. "I don't know," I whispered.

The soldier sucked his teeth and snapped his fingers. The soldiers with the bucket and cloth walked up to me; the water sloshing around in the bucket as he did so. The soldier that questioned me, disappeared from my sight as he walked behind me. Out of the blue, my hair was tugged back violently making my head bend backward. The cloth was put on my face and it stinks of mildew and sweat. "This is your last chance, tell us where your buddy is and we'll stop all of this," he warned. 

"Wait! Wait wait," I muffledly shouted. The cloth was removed from my face. "You're smart, now, where is she?!"

I quickly concocted a lie. "Listen, I don't know where my accomplice is, but I will tell you what we were planning!"

"Go on!"

"We were planning an ambush. when the men arrived we were going to give a signal to our friends that are going to be waiting at the entrance to the city."

The soldier with the buckets stared intently. He nodded and walked out the door. "You're doing the Gods' work here mage," the man said as he stared.

Not soon after, the soldier reentered. My neck began to hurt from the position the man held it in, I gulped, nervous to speak to the man. "So, what are you going to do?"

The soldier who stood over me cracked a sinister smile. "No hard feelings, it's just business." Footsteps thundered towards me. "I gave you what you wanted, please!" I begged. The soldier laughed and dropped the cloth on my face. Water began to pour out and the feeling of fear was intense. It wasn't even a minute and I began to panic as the water stuck the cloth to my face. I gasped as the water entered my nose in full. I was panicking violently and being chained to the chair and not able to move made it worse. I tried to scream, but it was blotted out by the sound of water and laughter and the cloth. I was slowly fainting; my arms began to feel weak.