Chapter 1: Castle In The Snow

1628 DE

1628 DE

I walked through a forest, the leaves crunched beneath my feet as I slowly walked towards an open field leading to a river. The sun was high and shined through the trees, but oddly enough, the warmth of the sun didn't heat my skin. I was about to reach the open field but my body refused to move. At the edge of the tree line I stopped, and in the distance was a single tree with green and vibrant leaves. Suddenly, a voice began to call my name over and over. "Zarek! Master Zarek!" The feminine and familiar voice called.

I was awakened by one of my family's servants, Eva, at the entrance of my room calling out to me. I'm not a heavy sleeper but I was training with my sword master Lernarc for days. "Master Zarek!" Eva shouted once more. She was newly employed in our house, she was a couple of years older than me when she arrived, and from the moment I laid eyes on her, I became fond of her. She was also very beautiful, her hair was red and braided, she had green eyes and a freckled face. 

 "What is it, Eva?" I asked feeling groggy.

 "Your family is currently awaiting your arrival in the dining hall, it is your farewell party before you leave for the ceremony."

 "Ceremony! Oh...right. I sat up wiping the sleepiness from my eyes.

 "Should I go?" I asked Eva. "I have a feeling I'm not going to be missed."

 She rests the clothes I was going to wear on the dressing table and walked towards me, the rays of the sun shining through my window making her hair glow giving it the effect of fire. She took a seat beside me.

"Young master, I'm sure your mother and father love you very much not to mention your brother and sister."

I raised my eyebrows. "My brother, I'm not so sure about." When I hit the age of ten, I noticed drastic changes in the way my brother, Fabien treated me. I noticed at an even younger age how my grandmother would treat me compared to my brother. Now that our grandmother had, died my brother has taken her place in hating me with a passion.

"Anyway, Eva, I need to get dressed."  Hastily, she left my room.

 lazily I got out of my bed and took the outfit Eva left for me on the dressing table. I received this outfit as a gift from my uncle Gadin, he acquired it from the elvish nation of Cartha. I stood in front of the mirror, and I began to stare blankly in thought.

 Alone, I was always alone. In the garden, I would sit alone, By the fountain, I would sit alone. And the only people who treated me like a person out of all my family members were my sister, Anya, and my mother and father. Years in isolation I spent, only to be sent away to a knight's order. It wasn't fair.

A wave of sadness and anger began to wash over me. Quickly, I dismissed these thoughts of resentment. I stared at my face, then at my eyes.  My hair was thickly curled and barely touched my shoulders, my eyes were red, the sole reason for my Isolation.