Chapter 6- "You love him... don't you?"

Four weeks after chapter 5

Chris has gotten rid of her cast by now, but is still supposed to be taking it easy and she has also successfully completed her therapy.

There was definitely something going on between her and Street, but neither Chris nor Street addressed it.

They were once again in the kitchen. Street had even found joy in cooking in the meantime. Today, however, they baked a cake for Chris' niece, who had her birthday the next day.

Chris' POV

"Do we have to go to that birthday tomorrow?" asked Street to me.

"So please, it's my niece's birthday! That's why we're baking."

"Alright...but don't almost get shot at again." He said listlessly.

"Haha, funny." Said I sarcastically. "One, I'm sure you'll love my niece. And two, you're here to play my shield after all." I grinned at him.

"Great views... How many people will be there?" he asked curiously.

"Just family." It wasn't a lie, but I charmingly concealed from him how big my family was. On the point that he would like my family, and they would like him, I was quite sure.

"Let's start baking now or we won't finish! Oh yeah: don't attack me with any ingredients today." I said quickly to avoid him responding to my answer.

"I'll think about that." He said threateningly and we laughed.

After mixing a batter together and putting it in the oven, we sat at the kitchen island and talked.

"What's your niece's name?" asked Street.

"I have three nieces, and you'll meet all of them tomorrow, too, but I think you mean Valerie. She's turning 10 tomorrow," I answered him.

"And whose daughter is Valerie? Sorry to ask so much, but I'm trying to understand your family before I show up there tomorrow."

I had to laugh. If only he knew...

"She's my brother Jack's daughter. The other two are my sister Zoe's daughters. Hanna and Maya, 4-year-old twins, but I haven't seen them in a long time." I explained to Street.

"Why?" he echoed.

"Zoe drinks. A lot. The only contact I have with her is through her husband Felipe." That's all it took for Street to understand how I felt. Zoe just reminded me too much of my late mother.

He took my hand. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" he began, but I interrupted him.

"Street, you couldn't have known. It's all good. Really!" we sat in silence for a moment, looking at each other. Then my cell phone rang, on which I had set a timer for the cake. I withdrew my hand from Street and ran to the oven.

I pulled the cake out of the oven.

"It smells so good! Can I eat it now?" Street approached the cake.

"Hands off! Why do you sound like a little kid today?" I asked him in amusement, throwing the oven mitt I had been wearing until just now at him.

He caught it just in time.

"Actually, I was going to cook tonight, but if I'm attacked with oven mitts, I guess I'll have to take back my generous offer..."

"Oh no, my apologies. I hope you can forgive me and cook anyway!" i played along.

Street's POV

After we spun around a bit, to Chris' great surprise, I had actually cooked.