Chapter 5- "I am scared"

Chris' POV

Street had to park the car a bit away from his apartment because all the parking spaces were full. Therefore, we walked the rest.

"You're cold, aren't you?" he asked me suddenly. I guess he had noticed that I was freezing.

"Yeah, a little, but it's okay." I admitted.

He took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders.

"I can't let you freeze to death!"

I laughed and wrapped myself in the jacket. Immediately his pleasant smell came up to me.

I loved that smell. I lapsed into thought when all of a sudden shots rang out.

Before I knew where they were coming from or could react, I was already on the ground.

Street had pulled me to the ground with him.

"Hide behind the car and stay down!" he whispered to me.

Street stood up and took out his gun. More shots rang out and I heard a car driving away.

"Shit!" Street shouted. He was standing in front of the car I was hiding on the side of. For a short time there was silence and I just sat there.

"Hondo! I was just on my way home with Chris...someone shot at us from a car. I'm quite sure it was Rodriguez." Apparently he was on the phone with Hondo. He then came running to me.

"Chris, are you all right?" he asked anxiously, kneeling down next to me. Only now did I notice that I was shaking all over. This situation brought back unpleasant memories in me.

I looked at Street and shook my head.

"Are you hurt?" the latter asked in alarm.

"No, but... I..." I wanted to explain, but I didn't get any further because I started crying.

Despite the darkness, Street noticed that I was crying. He slid over to me and took me in his arms.

Street's POV

When I took Chris in my arms, I expected her to push me away. But I was wrong, because she literally clung to me... Which I kind of enjoyed.

"Everything is good Chris. I'm here, nothing will happen to you!" I tried to reassure her.

"I'm scared Street." Chris was still shaking and I wanted her to feel safe again. At that moment we heard the sirens of the Black Betty and our colleagues were with us half a minute later.

I carefully disengaged from the embrace and helped Chris stand up. I put an arm around her and helped her to the Betty.

She sat down inside while I talked to Hondo.

"It was a black pickup, no plates, but the man was definitely Rodriguez." I reported to him.

"How about you guys come down to HQ and we'll take everything in?" asked Hondo to me.

After a quick glance at Chris, who was still sitting shaking in the Black Betty, I knew I couldn't do that to her.

"I think it's better if we come tomorrow. Then Chris can calm down first." I explained to my boss.

Hondo nodded and drove back with the team.

I held Chris in my arms, who had calmed down a bit in the meantime.

We walked in silence to my apartment. Once there, she immediately disappeared into the bathroom and a little later ran to the bedroom. I lay on the couch and eventually fell asleep.