Chapter 10: Finland

Magsimula sa umpisa

So I talked with my neighbor Michael, who was into the local theater scene at night after he lawyered during the day, explained the situation, and he was all in. He'd taken copious notes about what I wanted, we practiced a few things and he expanded on some of my ideas. I told him Dominic and I had a date planned the following night and he agreed to be on standby. His partner Caden had been listening the whole time and kept shaking his head like this was a bad idea, but Michael was firmly on my side and was looking on this as the role of a lifetime.

Sure enough, when Dominic picked me up for our date, Camille was waiting in the car and I saw her give a little wave to me. Dominic said only, "She had a complete meltdown when I said I was leaving the house and bringing her along was the only way I could get her to calm down. I'm sorry, Gorgeous."

Did he even ask if I minded? Did he not see what a manipulative bitch she was? Did he miss everything awful about her?

As I approached the car, she leaned out the window. "Sorry, Finnie, my back has been giving me problems since my ex kicked me. It hurts too much to get in the backseat."

Of course her back was hurting and that made it impossible to get in the back seat. Sure it was. But Dominic bought it, so that's all that mattered.

Once I got into the back seat, I quickly texted Michael, "It's on" and the restaurant details.

One thing was for sure. After tonight, I was no longer going to be putting up with the bullshit.

Dinner began as expected. Dominic and Camille sat side-by-side on one side of the booth, and I sat on the other. Camille monopolized the conversation, I imagined various ways to torture her...the usual. We'd just ordered drinks when Michael walked by our table, then took a few steps back and looked at me.

"Finnie?"

I pretended to not know him for a second before recognition hit. "Oh my gosh, Michael? Is that you?"

I jumped up out of my seat and we hugged hard. "What are you doing here? It's been, what? Seven years since I last saw you?"

"You look great, Finnie," he said, stepping back a bit to give me a once over. "Smokin' hot. I'm in town for a week for a sales conference. Someone told me to try this place."

"Can you join us?" I asked.

He glanced over at a scowling Dominic and bemused Camille, then back at me. "You sure? Don't want to crash the menage vibe you got going on." I had to choke back a laugh at that. Who knew he was so good at improv?

"Absolutely! Come on, sit down," I trilled. Grabbing his hand, I pulled him into the booth.

"Michael, this is Dominic and Camille," I introduced them. "Michael's an old friend of mine from high school."

He shook Dominic's hand and Camille's from across the table, then turned his attention right back to me.

I'd gone over a long list of things he needed to do tonight – all things Camille had pulled with Dominic. He started right in. First off was inappropriate touching and pet names.

His hand brushed my hair back from my shoulder, lingering longer than was socially acceptable, as he said, "You look so good, baby girl. What have you been up to?" 

Before I could answer, the waitress came and took Michael's drink order, then he turned right back to me.

"Oh my god, did you see her? She reminds me of our biology teacher. Remember how she always used to say, 'Class, your attention is required...'"