Chapter Two: Pick and Choose

I’m sixteen now, it’s been almost two years since I saw kidnapped that night out of my own bedroom after my brother had put me to bed. If I was home still, my family would be helping me celebrate because I’ve finally made the change, my mind and senses are sharper now and it feels like I’m constantly arguing with my wolf – which is annoying. I’m still not quite used to that fact yet. I’ve also changed physically, according to my roommates my eyes have changed to silver. Rather fitting for my pack name.

But because I’m not at him, I didn’t get any special treatment for turning but a visit to Alpha Mitchell who congratulated me on the change and then demanded that I shift in front of him so that he could survey my wolf. I hated it, I absolutely hated the fact that I had to change in front of that man, no not man. Monster!

After me all of us girls in the room had changed, I was the last one. And we still didn’t know what we were here for. No one would talk to us and the only time we were allowed of our room is to go to the toilet, wash and stretch our legs for a brief amount of time before the Alpha came and demanded that we go back to our room. Prison cell!

I suppose I should say that I’ve given up on my fantasy of my parents coming and rescuing me, running down the hallway outside screaming my name until their voices are hoarse, throwing the door open when I reply and wrapping me in there reassuring arms. It took me a little while, but after a long year of being here I realised that they weren’t coming, but I suppose I had and still have my friends; Tessa, Rosalind, Silvy, Nevada and Odessa. Well at the moment anyway. At least until we know why we are here.

Which I get the feeling is coming up soon.

It’s exactly been seven months since I first changed; my wolf has been keeping count. Don’t ask. And I’m still stuck in the small room with the other five girls, we’re all becoming restless now, our wolves wanting out but in this small space they – as well as us – know it’s not such a good idea to turn.

Currently the six of us are cuddled into the furthest corner from the door, trying to get some much needed rest after a long seven months. Since my first change no one has been able to sleep and then as each of them began to change it just got even worse.

We’re also trying as hard as we can to ignore the screams and cries from the other girls who are out there doing who knows what to please various different members of this pack, as well as the boys who are being send into dog fights every morning and night. 

The latch on the door to our room unlocks signalling that someone’s planning on entering, we all open our eyes startled out of our shallow sleep and turn our heads simultaneously toward the door as Louis, Kirk, Joseph and Hugo walk into the room there broad shoulders only just making it through the doorway one after another.

They stop just inside the door and stare at us, smirks on their faces. “Alpha wants you girls to come with us.” The Guard I’ve learnt to be known by Joseph commands as he taps his foot impatiently. “Now!”

As a group we get up and walk over to the Guards, moving into our transporting arrangement. Which is; Rosalind and Silvy up the front, then Odessa and Nevada, and then lastly Tessa and I make up the end. Then we follow Louis and Kirk out of the room, Joseph and Hugo tagging along behind making sure that known of us decides to make a break for it.

Why do you have to be so good? Why can’t you attack them? Run? My wolf asked me as we moved down the hallways further and further away from the room which they hold us in day and night.

I don’t know how to fight; I wouldn’t stand a chance against them. Any of them! I say sternly as my reply as we all suddenly stop in front of two wooden doors.