part 17: diamond review

"Ah, there you are."

The two Diamonds grinned in satisfaction at your arrival as you silently strode in from behind their pearls with an air of professionalism. It seemed like just yesterday that you'd walk in with your tail between your legs, unable to even raise your head to meet the diamonds' gazes, fearing to even make eye contact with the massive gem monarchs. And now you had your head held high, walking with an air of self-reliance, your gaze cold, focused and unblinking as it set itself on what matters most. In this case it was the two diamond's in front of her. It was good to see such improvement.

After walking to the center of the room, you sat back on your haunches so you could form the traditional diamond salute to them with your forepaws.

"My Diamonds. (Name) (Gem) reporting in." Your voice was not only cold and borderline emotionless, but it was also gristled and distorted, barely holding any femininity in its tone as it echoed across the massive room. If anyone were close enough, they might even feel the bass of it in their body. This made the pearls shudder at a chill running up their metaphoric spines. Especially the blue pearl, who seemed almost saddened at hearing it. Your voice used to be much more softer than this...

"And you're right on time as usual, (name)." Blue smiled serenely as she looked down at you as Yellow nodded with a hum. "Indeed. Very impressive."

You simply nodded. Best not to speak out of turn.

"Well then," She then clap her hands together once. "Let's get straight to the point, shall we?" She idly sat back in her throne, her hands locked together in a calm, confident finger-tent as she looked down at you with stern, yet placid yellow eyes. "(Name), we must admit, for the past several months, your service to the empire has been quite astounding."

Your brow twitched, feeling a twinge of surprise. Is that so? You almost wanted to say, but you opted to keep quiet and listen.

"Indeed. We've even received multiple reports of improvements on your performances." Blue added, a soft, genuinely proud smile brightening your face. "You're truly proving to be a very worthy contributing to our empire."

You lip twitched subtly. As prissy and strict as these gems were, it was good to know your efforts weren't unnoticed by them.

"And speaking of improvements..." Yellow spoke up, her gaze on you suddenly intensifying on you. "Do you have any recollection of your past? Facet? Cut? Anything?"

You grunted feeling a flash of uncertainty. You've been so focused on trying to kowtow to this merciless society you've hardly had any time to think about yourself identity wise. Facets, cuts, all of that was an afterthought. The only thing that ever ran through your mind all that time was to make it to the next day!

And aside from a few physical traits like wounding and destabilization resistance, you didn't have much to yourself personally.

Damn it...

"Well..."

Your eyes flashed as at a particular piece of information that would still pop up in your head. Part of you wasn't ready to tell them; you've been holding off telling anyone about it because you were waiting to at least gain a substantial amount of information to piece together some sort of memory.

But at this moment, you couldn't let your perfect streak slip. Besides, there's no reason for you to withhold such information. After all, they're your diamonds. You took a deep breath and sighed rather heavily.

"...Pink Diamond is... familiar to (name)."

As expected, as soon as you said this, the Diamond duo straightened up slightly in their seats at the mention of her name, with Blue barely repressing her gasp.

"Is... that so?" Yellow asked, leaning forward subtly. There was a very faint hint of excitement in her voice. "Do you remember anything about her? Any specific details?"

You grunted softly, squinting as you wracked your mind for anything of use. Unfortunately, you only came up with bits and pieces of information you've gathered about her from around the palace or blue pearl.

"Well... she... she was the one to... throw extravagant parties." You tried to keep yourself from stuttering from the anxiousness you felt with each passing second. "And... she had an interest towards wanting a colony--"

"What about you?" Came yellow's mildly impatient voice, and you had to repress a whimper. "Was she anything to you in general?"

"Ah... That's... that's it." You said, your voice faltering. "Her name and mannerisms is familiar to (name). She can't remember much more."

There was a beat of silence as the diamond duo processed over your information.

"I see..." drones Yellow as she leaned back into her seat, still rubbing her chin in contemplation. She looked like she was disappointed. Blue had a mournful look adorning her face, her gaze focused on her lap.

You bowed your head humbly, closing your eyes to avoid their prying gaze. "(Name)'s sorry."

"...no. don't be."

Huh? "Hum?" You almost snapped upright to look up at the two rulers with surprise.

"As scant as it may be... at least we have some sort of progress." Yellow's voice was oddly gentle compared to the more stern, slightly cold tone just a few minutes ago.

"Indeed. You've come a long way, (name)." Blue agreed, the faintest ghost of a smile present on her lips.

You almost smiled yourself, feeling an odd sort of pride well up in your chest.

"Well, let's hope we'll get even further with this assignment we have for you." Yellow's voice regained it's stern tone, as she straightened up. "Perhaps even move up a rank."

Your eyes flashed with interest. Move up a rank?

"Yes, your familiarity with pink just might be the key to your success." Yellow had an idle note in her voice, as if she were talking to herself, as she leaned back, closing her eyes in a thoughtful daydream. You stood quiet, unsure of what to say or do. "For you see, (name)..." Suddenly, a rather grim expression took over Yellow's face as she re-opened her eyes to look at you.

"You're going to earth to avenge her."