part 8: a walk with yellow pearl

Today was going good so far. Not only did you have a successful training session with jasper, but you managed to  get out of a meeting with your two diamonds in one piece!

"Truly is remarkable, I must say. Normally, My diamond wouldn't have tolerated such futile information. Why, she would have destabilized you right then and there! Aren't you just a lucky one?"

If only you could relish in such victory.

While you understood that, to some degree, a gem can think very highly of their diamond. After all, they were rulers of the empire, creators of armies. Of course you're going to look up to them. But unlike blue pearl, who was quite humble when it came to acknowledging her diamond, and spoke of her fondly on some occasions...

"And to think, she even touched you! Ha! The only touches I've ever seen her make to another gem was when she'd shatter them! Never have I ever seen her pick up a gem so gently, let alone a gem with your condition-"

...This one spoke about her diamond as if she was the best thing to ever walk the galaxy. She just went on and on about her ever so brilliant diamond sparing you, without seeming to know when to hush about it... and the haughty snark in her nasaly voice didn't do you any favors.

I'm shocked I haven't destabilized from the sheer amount of irritation you're giving me.

Of course you couldn't say that. Not only would it make your situation worse with her nagging, but you knew that I'd likely result into more trouble for you. They never said it verbally, but you could tell that a gem of your status was deemed nearly as low as a pebble. Even to the point that pearls could order you around, like a manager. And unlike blue pearl, something told you that yellow pearl wouldn't be as understanding to your dry humor. And heck if you go through hours of degradation from a pearl just for mild snark.

So the most you could do was just the occasional 'yes, pearl', 'indeed' or just a simply nod and hum, hoping your bangs would hide your eyes as they rolled in disinterest.

Her diamond gushing finally came to a stop, as she spared you a side glance. "Ah, but I have to admit, we did indeed luck out with you." She offered a vaguely warm smirk. "A corrupted (gem) that's still has enough mental capacity to comply with orders." You replied with a humble nod and grunt and she giggles in a surprisingly light tone to herself. "Not to mention that you're excellent listener." She continues to chuckle to herself, looking back ahead of her. "Anyhow... your assignment is going to be held a the human zoo, so we'll need a ship to get to there." She suddenly looks back at you with a sharp, suspicious gaze. "I assume you'll behave on the way there?" You fought down an urge to grimace at the patronizing gem, and just nodded silently.

She hummed in satisfaction, and as she led you into what you assumed was a sort of launch bay, your mouth partially opening in awe as you looked around at the massive assortment of spaceships in various of shapes and sizes. Wow... you thought, scanning the vast rows of vehicles, tilting your head at a slight shift in your mind. Was... homeworld always this technologically- "(name)?? What's the hold up?" You snapped your head towards yellow pearl who was standing a few feet away from you, arms crossed with an annoyed expression. "Come along now, we have no time to waste!" You quickly trotted to the place she stood, bowing your head humbly. "Sincerest apologies. (Name) was lost in thought about something."

You expected to hear a scoff or a patronizing comment, but instead you heard a soft hum. "Is that so?" Her eyes narrowed slightly in suspicion, and for a brief moment you thought she had the faintest glimmer of interest flash in her eyes. "Hm... very well." She simply answered. "Come along, we're taking the roaming eye." She pointed to a red, round, drop-shapped ship with a triangular yellow windshield on the front.

You watch with a tilted head as she activated the ship, and opened a round door before beckoning you toward her with a hand. "Come," you obediently walked in after the yellow pearl, surprised at how big it looked on the outside. At the front of it were 5 chairs aligning it. "Typically, it's used by rubies, but since this is just the zoo we're heading to, this'll have to suffice for now." You gave her a curious look. "Why can't we can't take bigger ships?" She scoffs at the question, and answers in a calm, but condescending voice. "Well, it wouldn't make much sense to bring an entire warship to a simple little zoo now, would it?"

"...N-No..." you winced and looked to the ground, feeling your cheeks burn as yellow pearl giggled softly and patted your head. "As I thought. Don't be silly." She straighteneds up and lifts her chin. "Now then! Let's take our seats and get going." With a haughty stride, she walks to the center seat and sits down, in which you followed suit, finding your seat beside her. She pressed something on the small blue screen in front of her and you felt the ship vibrate subtly as it got into motion. "Do try to get comfortable until we get there, the ride may be a while." yellow pearl states matter-of-factly.

You grunted and nodded, opting to rest your chin atop your own console with a low rumble in your throat. After a few more button presses, the vessel lurches into motion and before you knew it, you were gliding through the stars, off to wherever this zoo place was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...did I make yellow pearl too condescending here?

Sorry if I did, but she seemed like the kind of gem to just continuously gush about her diamond, while at the same time enjoyed her position at being your "manager".

I mean, a swap in roles must feel nice to someone who's been ordered around for a decade or two, right?