Chapter 24 - Memories

Start from the beginning

Her words surprise me. Thomas always gives me the impression of a wealthy and highly educated man. It never occurred to me that their beginnings were humble.

"I'm sorry, Abigail. I'm not thinking straight," I sit on one of the two chairs in my small dining set and motion for her to join me.

"It's okay. Did you know Thomas hired you because he could see the way we were raised in you?"

"No, I didn't. I'm still thankful that you both have welcomed me into the business."

"You've earned your place. Let's get you in bed," she points behind her at my bed.

I stand up and realize that I haven't offered her anything to drink. She stops me before I can get into the kitchenette and starts to unbutton my shirt. I wonder where this is going when she places a small kiss on my bare chest. She then takes a step aside to get a hanger for the shirt. When she moves back, I cup her lovely face and kiss her. This time it's not a mistake and her lips welcome mine.

"Gosh, I feel lightheaded," Abigail says as we separate and smiles. "In a good way."

"I've been wanting to do that again since that rainy day. It felt right," I say while caressing her cheek with my thumb and she nods. "I hope you'll want to talk more about this soon. I like you Abigail. You should know that I'll always be there for you."

"I know, and now you need to rest," she kisses my cheek and takes a step away.

"Come to bed with me," I hold her hand. "We won't do anything. I promise. I just want to hold you for a little longer. I feel so tired."

While Abigail ponders on what to do, I walk to my dresser and get a t-shirt for her and a pair of shorts for me. I hand her the t-shirt and she looks at it with a puzzled face.

"You are wearing pretty clothes. If you come lie down with me they'll get wrinkly. This is long enough and will keep you comfortable and covered."

Abigail grabs the t-shirt and heads to the bathroom to change. I use the opportunity to take off my pants and put on the shorts. I open the covers and sit on the bed until she returns. She comes out and the t-shirt almost reaches her knees. After she gets under the blanket, she curls against me.

"I've been wondering how this would feel," she says as she lifts her head to look at me. "It's as good as I imagined."

This time I don't look away. Instead I kiss her and then enjoy her warmth until my body relaxes.

-*-

Still with my eyes closed, I reach out to my side and find the area empty. I feel rested, but wonder where Abigail has gone to. The t-shirt I lent her is neatly folded on top of the dresser. I feel disappointed and abandoned to a certain sense.

On the table, I find a folded blue note that I recognize as a piece of the office stationery. My heart races as I open it.

I'll be back soon. Went to get groceries.
- Abigail

A sigh of relief escapes me. The doorknob clicks and Abigail enters the apartment with bags filled with groceries. I rush to help her.

"Thank you! I overestimated the stairs. Considered giving up on the last flight," she laughs. "Don't tell Dennis! He'll make fun of me for life. How are you feeling? I woke up after an hour and you were sleeping so deeply I didn't have the heart to wake you up."

"I feel refreshed, to be honest. What have you got in here?"

"A bit of this and that to complement what you already have in your cupboard. Hope you don't mind me snooping around. I just assumed you would be hungry, since all you got was that awful hospital breakfast."

"I don't mind. Thank you for bring the stuff. I usually get something on the way home. Cooking for one person is not that fun."

"I agree. I usually have a friend or one of my brothers over to feel inspired to prepare something. Did your mom teach you how to cook?" She asks as we unpack the food.

"No, Mr. Boyer did. He and his wife and had a juggling act at the circus. They didn't have children, and loved having all the circus ones around. He loved cooking and invited my mom and me often to eat with them. I would stand next to him in his caravan and he would teach me how to chop ingredients and make stuff. It was simple fare, but it was good and tasty," I get a large pot and start filling it with water.

"So you also have good memories of the circus?"

"I do. I'm plagued by the trauma of the night of the stabbing and the many times we had to come in between those two. Life at the circus was bittersweet and almost like living in a small town. I'm still not sure if all the stories I heard about the relationship between my father and mother are true to this day. Just like with the acts, gossip was often extra embellished to make it sound more significant than it was. But among the good memories is also the time spent with Mrs. Boyer learning how to read, write and do math. I also loved riding horses and tending to them. I've seen so many beautiful places while traveling around."

"I would love to hear all about that. Now and always."

"Do you? Does it mean you are willing to give us a chance?"

"I can continue trying to convince myself that it's not appropriate, but I don't give a damn anymore. I've always played by the rules, but I deserve a chance at happiness. I only happened to have found it with a colleague."

Rogue Abigail Morgan, I can get used to it.