Even when she'd divorced Yusuf, nothing changed in her life; the typical Dubai dream she'd was still far from her reach. She thought she could do better on her own but the only shelter she could find was one-room apartment, inside the apartment, her belongings are scattered haphazardly, creating an atmosphere of disarray. The small space is divided by a worn curtain, creating a small bedroom. Cobwebs cling to corners, signifying there were other insects living rent free with her. The perfect Halloween decoration.

The ringing of the door bell was persistent, Zarah was inside, she heard her doorbell ring but she was too lazy to get it. She groaned on the bed, turning to the other side of bed. The person ringing from the doorstep was sure he saw someone through the keyhole. He banged the door after he noticed it was hopeless ringing the doorbell.

Five minutes of patiently knocking, the door was opened and Zarah peeped from the small space she'd created. She was still sleepy as she looked at the intruder. "What?" She yawned carelessly, frowning.

"Rent is due." The bald man in front of her said, scornfully. She looked up at him for again, rubbing the sleep off her face, she gasped.

"I'm so sorry sir, I didn't know it was you." Zarah apologized, opening the door properly. "I know the rent is due sir, I am going to pay you as soon as I receive my paycheck, I swear by Allah." Zarah said in a calm manner, her landlord still had frown plastered on his face, "you're the best sir, you know I have got many responsibilities, Safeeneh's tuition fee won't pay itself." Zarah ranted with an enthusiastic smile, aiming at the landlord's soft spot.

"It's not my fault you can't send your daughter to a public school like normal poor people does, who are you even pleasing?" Her Landlord blurted in anger, tutted before walking off, he knew she always had an excuse, besides, there are many occupants on his list of debtors.

"Mr. Malik, my daughter's education is much more important! Thank you!" Zarah yelled at the back of the old man's head and closed the door. Looking at the mess she was living in, she knew she'd failed somewhere, yet again. But what gave her confidence was that Safeenah's elite education didn't stop.

"Oh Allah, it's harder than I thought it would be. Raising a child alone? I bet Yusuf is having a good life right now." Zarah said with a sigh, looking up at the ceiling, she saw the cobwebs the cheap asbestos harbored. "What the? When did it spread like this? Damn you spiders," she dramatically curse at the spiders and walked to bring out her cleaning supplies — the least she could do is clean the rathole of a house she was living in.

"Salaam Ummi, I'm back." A child's meek voice could be heard before the door was opened. Safeenah stepped inside after she'd remove her muddy sandals at the foyer. "Mum, you're cleaning?" She inquired, jumping up to hug Zarah.

Her joy was noticeable, Zarah sure took care of her. Her warm skin tone was a testament of Zarah's care to her, her hair also was groomed properly it ranged from straight to curly, reflecting the diversity within Arab communities. Her bright and innocent smile lights up her face, expressing the joy and curiosity typical of her age. The love she had for Zarah emitted clearly.

"Yes I am, come here." Zarah picked Safeenah up and hugged her so tight. "How was school, haywan? I bet you must be hungry let me get you something." She kissed her cheeks and keep her down.

"Ummi, so I am not eat takeout today? Yay!" The little girl exclaimed happily, jumping on her feet, "tank you so much, you're the best."