Symphonies of Dawn

Start from the beginning

"Have you been enjoying the evening so far?" Caiden asked, kissing the back of my hand so tenderly that my skin threatened to melt right off my bones.

I clenched my jaw as the appalling image of Tarkan's grinning face grazed my mind.

No, the evening had so far been less than enjoyable. First, I ruined the Inferno Queen's beautiful dress; then, your brother distastefully revealed his true colors as the culprit of my sufferings and almost kissed me in the process.

Those were all words I longed to slip across my aching tongue, but I couldn't—not here, not ever. Caiden would lose his mind—potentially even risk his title—to ensure Tarkan paid his due punishment. I couldn't let him do that.

"I met the queen of the Inferno Realm," I said, my shoulders tensing as Caiden placed a hand on the arch of my lower back, steering me through the crowd toward the dance floor.

"Is that so?" Caiden asked, too satisfied for comfort. "What did you discuss?"

"Not much, I'm afraid," I said, smiling at the thought of Art jumping in to save me from myself. "Art interrupted us before I could add anything meaningful to a very one-sided conversation."

Caiden chuckled. "That does sound strikingly similar to Queen Raina. She can be quite a mouthful when her heart is set."

I pressed my lips together to keep my smile from widening. Tiny cracks in his royal mask revealed a faint glimpse of the boy I'd come to appreciate. Of course, I preferred it ripped to shreds, but I understood why he wore it under these circumstances.

"Where are we going?" I asked when Caiden dragged me across the crowded dance floor. Then we stopped.

There were fewer people in this particular corner of the room, likely due to the dim lighting and the lack of refreshments.

"Reminding you of your most recent promise," Caiden said, a mischievous smile spreading on his face as he turned to face me. "It is my birthday, after all."

Goosebumps spread across my entire body. "H-here?" I asked.

"Why not?"

"What about the other suitors?" I asked, unable to wiggle myself free from his grip. "It may be your birthday, but it is the second trial too. Aren't they the ones who you should focus on this evening?"

I offered him a crooked smile, but he only raised his brow as if questioning my intentions.

"Are you trying to escape your promise, Miss Aldwyn?" he asked, pulling me closer to eliminate any opportunity I had to escape. "Because, I assure you, it isn't going to work. I have already danced with the far majority of the suitors currently interested. And now, I happen to have found you."

He was like a sea serpent. Slippery and canny. I couldn't say no to him even if I wanted to.

"Why bring me here then?" I asked instead, knowing not to pick a fight I couldn't win. "Won't bringing me to such an isolated section of the room raise suspicion among the guests? What will they think if they see us?"

Caiden's smile faded, his grip on me tightening. "You know," he said, sighing faintly. "I will be looking forward to the day when you can find it in your heart not to worry about others' opinions of you and be true to yourself."

I froze, my cheeks burning bright. He wasn't wrong in his assessment, but I never expected him to be so open about it.

"I— It's not that I want to avoid you, Caiden," I whispered, avoiding his saddened eyes, "but there are powers at play that I cannot afford to ignore. I just don't want to be caught in the middle of something that could hurt my family."