30

Peter runs in raging about training and cleaning, Arren just nods, not ready for all the excitement of Peter's life.

"Can I try out some new moves on you? Training was awesome and I might need you to pop my shoulder in again later this week but-"

"That is my que to leave." Mitch goes to Arren arms open, they both need one last hug. Mitch is confident and happy, he was no longer the grieving friend, but the helpful, empowering friend. His power radiates off of him towards all those around him, it's just what he does. Mitch knew he had done his friendly duty and he was free to leave for a while knowing that Arren would be taking good care of me while he was gone. They give a strong hand shake then each revealing a smile of compassion and Mitch was off... to see his wife. Arren however stays a long while. He is silent while reviewing his notes, but he is no longer miserable.

"So," Peter interjects, "care to spar?" Arren turns quickly and puts his hands out ready for Peters attack. 'Come on,' he gestures and a smile pierces Peter long face. He immediately starts bouncing on the balls of his feet. Then he lungs at Arren but, Peter misses and hits the bed frame instead.

"Come on I thought you said you were good at this?" Arren jokes but he looks serious, he looks ready to fight. Again Peter tires, this time connecting with Arren, but Arren hits back harder. Peter clenches his jaw at the contact and shuffles back, away from Arren his face drawn with a concern.

"You doing alright?" Peter questions, hands up to cover his face. Arren nods and takes a step, a bounce mimicking Peter.

"Yeah." Arren is cold and harsh. His usual charismatic, caring, concerned tone is gone. I thought Mitch had fixed him temporally but his father's appearance is driven too deep inside him. Arren hits first this time, Peter dodges and pushes Arren down but somehow Peter ends up on the ground next a fist flying at his face.

"No!" I scream "Arren!" It comes out as a shriek. Peters face lights up with confusion and fear. Arren's hand is so close before he pulls back rolls off of Peter, dropping himself off Peter and down to his stomach. Peter lets out a deep breath, a breath of fear and relief.

"What has gotten into Arren? Is this about Peter, your father, or me?"

"Arren? Are you mad at me? Did I do something to upset you? Because if I did, man I'm really sorry, and if it's about this girl um- Harriet," he stumbles at my name. Arren's dry laugh only makes Peter more nervous. Arren flips over to his back staring up at the cracked ceiling.

"This isn't about you Pete, it's not about Harriet either." A sigh fills Peter and I can't help but breathe out in relief as well. "Abram came."

"Arren, why didn't you tell me?" Peter gets up on his elbows to better see Arren's glum face. "I'm so sorry. So, I assume it didn't go well?"

"It was torture. He basically said that I am wasting my time and I should put her out of her misery." Peter pulls Arren up and once on his feet, wraps him in a hug.

"Arren, you know that's not true." Arren pulls away and shakes his head viscously.

"No, no, I don't know what is true anymore. I knew medicine and now she is all I can think about. But I can't fix her!" Arren is hysterical, tears streaming down his face.

"What do you want me to do?" Peters voice is pure kindness and determination

"I don't know" Arren says simply. "I don't know if it's worth keeping her alive."

"Don't say that" both I and peter say and I look to him. His tall frame looks smaller and his whole self sags as he moves. This is the moment we become friends I think, as Peter urges Arren up straight and talks him into believing that I am worth it. That all his time, work, ambition will be worth it in the end.

"Do you see an end to this?" Arren asks wiping away the final tears.

"Arren," Peter starts, but he can't look him in the eye anymore. He bites his lip and scans the ground, hopefully searching for the right thing to say.

"Do you see an end to this?" Arren asks again louder, "well do you?" He points to me, moving to stand over me, his face scrunched with anger, pain and resentment.

"I don't know," is all Peter can say. I open my mouth to speak reason, to show evidence, proof that something is working but there is no evidence, no proof, no signs of improvement. Only sight decreases making it seem as though I am on a losing battle. But you said you wouldn't give up, was that just to make Mitch feel better?

"I'm flying blind here Peter and I don't know what else to do?" He is shaking and sweat beads off his face. "Maybe he was right." Peter spins Arren around and slaps him in the face.

"No!" Peter yells and puts his hands on Arren's shoulders shaking sense into him. Arren's face still revealed to be shocked from the slap. "You will not give up because you promised this girl and her friend that you would do everything and anything in you power to fix her!" Peter speaks fast as if he doesn't get the words out fast enough he won't be able to say them at all. "You don't quit. And you especially don't quit, when Abram tells you that you should." He stops shaking Arren and Arren's hands move to the bed frame for balance. "His words should only make you work harder to prove that piece of crap wrong!" Peter is motivating and passionate why doesn't Aurora love him? He's kind of perfect once you get past his attitude. Arren shakes a smile onto his face and it makes my heart ache. He's putting on a show again, of false emotions.

"Okay." He says softly and leaves, leaving Peter flustered and confused.

"I'll be back Harriet." he says from the doorway, but it doesn't feel the same. This makes Peter smile, now it is he that has done his best friend duty. "You coming Peter? I've got some research to do before I see Harriet again." He turns his attention back to me "I am going to heal you." I know are will Arren, I know you will.