Chapter 5- Like Old Times

Johnny shuffled in his seat nervously, his eyes flickering to the door. After the encounter at the dojo, Johnny was true to his word and texted Y/N. As he said, he wouldn't leave a pretty girl like her waiting for him. 

The two had texted back and forth continuously until they finally set up a day and time to meet up and catch up. And today was that day. The two were supposed to meet at 4 P.M. and it was currently 4:15 with Johnny being the only one present. Did she change her mind? 

Just then the bell above the door rang and Johnny looked up to see Y/N rushing in, her hair flying around her as she sped walked over to him. "I'm so sorry I am late! This asshole defense attorney was giving me a hard time." Y/N apologized, throwing her briefcase down. Johnny stared up at her. She definitely changed from high school. 

"Hey, it's alright." He said, getting to his feet. The two embraced each other before quickly letting go and taking their seats. "You know I would never purposefully leave you waiting, right?" Y/N joked. Johnny smiled. "Hmm, I don't know. You left me waiting to ask you out for a long time." He teased back. Y/N gasped. "I did not. I thought my feelings for you were very clear." She defended. "With you constantly getting mad at me, it was hard to tell."

"Hey, I only got mad at you like twice and I think they were reasonable things to get mad at you about."

"Yeah but still, sometimes it was hard to tell if you liked me sometimes."

Y/N shook her head with a smile. "I will admit, looking back on how I acted in high school, I do regret the way I acted." She admitted, taking a sip of her water. Johnny waved his hand. "Believe me, you were perfect," Johnny said. Y/N's face flushed at this. 

"So, how have things been for you since then?" Y/N asked. Johnny tensed at the question. "Uh, good. Pretty good." He said hesitantly. Y/N raised an eyebrow. "Johnny, you don't have to lie to me," Y/N said. Johnny sighed. "You're right. That's bullshit. The truth is, I partied through most of my 20's. All of 'em actually. And then my 30's. Next thing I knew, this girl I was dating got pregnant. I didn't know the first thing about being a dad. I was unprepared. And, uh, eventually, I screwed everything up. Pretty sure I ruined every meaningful relationship I've ever had, actually."

Y/N was taken aback by his response. "Well, for what it's worth, you never screwed up our relationship," Y/N said, reaching across the table and giving his hand a squeeze. Johnny smiled at her, feeling his heart thump loudly in his chest as his blue eyes met hers. She always knew what to say to make him feel like he mattered. Like he wasn't a total screwup.

"What about for you? Everything seemed to work out for you." Johnny said after a beat of silence. Y/N sighed. "Not everything." She replied. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Well, I did end up having the career I wanted but I feel like I didn't live the life I wanted, ya know?" She said. "And what life is that?" He asked. "Well for one, you would've been by my side and not some asshole who used me for my money."

This caught Johnny's attention. "Wait what? Some dick used you for money?" He asked, his voice wavering with anger. "Yeah, but he didn't get much out of me. I dumped his ass and moved here." Y/N dismissed. "He's an idiot for treating you like that," Johnny grumbled. Y/N chuckled. "It's good to know that after all these years you can still make me laugh."

The two sat in silence until suddenly Johnny got an idea. "What are you doing right now?" He asked. "Sitting here with you?" Y/N replied confused. "No, I mean, do you have any plans for the rest of the day." He said. Y/N shook her head no. "No, I don't. Why?" She questioned. "I have an idea."
------------------------------------------
"I've got to admit, when you said you had an idea, this wasn't what I was thinking," Y/N said as she and Johnny walked up to the entrance of Golf N Stuff. "Well, I thought it would be fun to visit where we had our first date." He said. "Ah yes after you tried to beat up David Williams," Y/N said, remembering the night exactly. "Well, of course, I couldn't let him hurt you." Johnny huffed. "Yes, you were my knight in shining leather." Y/N cooed, a teasing tone in her voice.

The two walked into the building, noticing how different the place looked and how much had changed since the 80s. "What should we do first?" Y/N asked. "How about I kick your ass in some air hockey?" Johnny suggested. "Get ready to lose, Lawrence."

After Y/N beat Johnny in air hockey, with him claiming she cheated, the two jumped between different activities. They played shooting games, classic arcade games, and a mix of others. They even took their picture in a photo booth, making them both feel like they were 17 again. It was a nice feeling, but they both knew it wouldn't last forever.

"Think you can win me a prize like last time?" Y/N teased as they walked to a balloon popping game. "Hell yeah, I can," Johnny replied. "Well then let's see it then." Y/N said as Johnny was handed the darts. Johnny winked at Y/N before turning to the balloons. He bit his lip in concentration as he threw each dart, all three of them successfully popping a balloon.

"Didn't think you still had it in ya." Y/N jested, nudging his side. Johnny wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her to his side. "Never underestimate me, princess." He replied with a grin. The attendee pulled down the prizes for the two to look at when one caught Y/N's eye. "Oh my god." She gasped. It was a red monkey, similar to the one Johnny had won her back in '84. 

She had tried to hold on to it but as she got older, things needed to be thrown away, or things were lost as she moved around. She wasn't exactly sure what happened to it but all she remembered was being saddened over the fact of losing it.

"I'll take that one." She said, pointing to it. The attendee smiled and handed her the monkey. "What did you name the last one I won you?" Johnny asked as the two walked through the front doors. "Jonah," Y/N replied. 

The two walked over and took a seat on a bench, with Y/N hugging the monkey close to her chest. "Wow, that was a lot of fun." She admitted, dropping her head onto his shoulder. "You sound so surprised about having fun with me." Johnny teased. "Oh shut up you know that's not what I meant." She replied, rolling her eyes. "What did you mean then?" Johnny questioned teasingly.

Y/N lifted her head off of his shoulder ready to retort when she felt her breath catch in her throat. She and Johnny were close to each other, way closer than she thought. His warm breath was fanning her face as his ocean blue eyes stared intently into her E/C ones. 

Johnny felt dazed as he stared into Y/N's eyes, wanting nothing more to grab her face and kiss her. Then again what was stopping him? Fear maybe. Maybe he was scared she would reject him and walk away. He wasn't sure. Ah, screw it.

Johnny leaned ever so slightly, making Y/N nearly gasp. She leaned in too ready to press her lips to his when a loud ding when off, making them both jump. Y/N internally groaned as she knew it was her phone that had gone off.

She shot Johnny an apologetic smile before fishing her phone out of her pocket to see it was Daniel who had texted her, asking her if she could come over, claiming there was an emergency with Sam. 

"I've got to go, Johnny. I had a lot of fun today though." Y/N stated, getting to her feet. Johnny felt anger and sadness swell in him as he also got to his feet. Anger from having their date rudely interrupted but also sadness at the thought of Y/N leaving. Of him not seeing her again.

"I had fun too." He replied. Y/N wrapped her arms around him and hugged him, taking in his familiar scent of cologne and musk, with a hint of mint. Johnny buried his head into her shoulder, not wanting to let her go.

Y/N reluctantly let go of him, making him release her as well. "I'll text you, later alright?" She said. "You better." He teased. "Can't keep a handsome guy like you waiting now can I?" She replied with a wink. Y/N placed a kiss on his cheek before stepping back. "Later pretty boy." She said with a smile. "Later, princess," Johnny replied. The two shared one last smile before Y/N walked away, her heart beating loudly in her chest. Oh, I'm definitely still in love with him.

-----------------------------------------

A/N I hope you guys enjoyed. I'm not a huge fan of this chapter and I saw it going differently in my head but it's whatever. Stay hydrated!!!